Zoomfloppy nibwrite issue

Got an issue?
radron5809

Zoomfloppy nibwrite issue

Post by radron5809 »

Wanted to see if anyone else has a zoomfloppy and a 1571 drive. Want someone else to try nibble write with serial with the -i switch to see if it errors out or not. If I do nibread -s -i filename.nib I have no issues. If I do nibwrite -s -i filename.g64 or filename.nib or filename.nbz it errors out with xum1541_control_msg: libusb0-dll err. Seems I can't do a nibwrite using the index hole feature. Tried two 1571 drives, 2 different laptops, different drivers and different versions of nibtools. I am using side one of the disc, they say you can't do this with side 2. Am I missing something? Like I said I can do a nibread with the -i switch but can't do nibwrite with the -i switch. So, if anyone has a 1571 drive and zoomfloppy, try a serial nibwrite with the -i switch and see if it errors out. I just want to see if other people have issues with nibwrite -s -i cause I'm thinking it's an issue with the software.

Zippy Zapp

Re: Zoomfloppy nibwrite issue

Post by Zippy Zapp »

I don't think I have ever tried my 1571 with ZoomFloppy.

Are you trying to write something that requires the index hole sensor? I didn't think it was necessary. What happens if you try it without the -i switch?
The reason it won't work on side 2 is because *most* disks don't have a second index hole on side 2. I say most because many commercial games do have it and I have several boxes of BASF 5.25 DS/DD reversible disks that have 2 index holes so it should work on these.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
radron5809

Post by radron5809 »

Don't know if I needed it or not. The 1571 is new to me and was just trying to write disc using the -i switch to tell it to use the index hole. Using without the -i doesn't give me an error, but I found I cannot write any discs using the -i switch. Nibread is fine with the -i switch.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Serial nibwrite with -i index sensor doesn't work for me either. libusb driver reports an error and nibwrite freezes. I have yet to install a parallel cable. There really aren't very many protections that require indexing, though. I'm still looking for an example of an image that requires this, to test after installing parallel cable.
Smooth operator
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Installed a parallel port on my 1571. Index hole sensor still doesn't work, libusb errors. This is true for both nibread and nibwrite.

Note that -i is not the correct switch for nibread, it's -j.
Smooth operator
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

You're not supposed to need a parallel calbe when using NibWrite with a XUM1541 and a 1571. It's supposed to use the high speed serial port of the CIA.

I will be getting a XUM1541 soon and I will be able to check on this.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Indeed, serial-only nibbling has been working great on the 1571.

I wanted to add parallel to one of my 1541 also, so I just did them both at the same time. I was hoping, on 1571, that this would allow the index hole sensor to work, as I read somewhere that was necessary for this. But it did not. I guess it is a regression of OpenCBM, libusb, or the XUM firmware. More people are moving to kryoflux for serious use, and hardly anyone is remastering copy-protected disks anyway, so few users are reporting the issue and the reports don't attract any attention.

Most copy protection remasters without issue. Rapidlok and fat-track do not. I wanted to remaster some EA fat-track games that have track 34 and 35 aligned, and index hole sensor support is needed to do that. Technically it's not a perfect remaster as we can't write the half-track, but it doesn't matter as EA doesn't check the half step.
Smooth operator
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

I have been using ZF and a 1571 for the past year now without any problems. Most things copy fine with exceptions, of course. For example older EA games that use the 34/34.5/35 "Fat Track" copy fine and can be run from an emulator but they cannot be written back to disk as they will fail.

Also If I try to use the Index Hole sensor switch with NibRead or NibWrite it causes the USB error and the ZF to reset by disconnecting and reconnecting to USB. I have tried old versions and current versions and it crashes every-time.

Interestingly newer EA games that were harder to copy back in the day, are no problem copying and writing to disk. Not even a KryoFlux or a SuperCard Pro can copy these older EA games back to disk when using a 96tpi PC drive that I have. Although according to Jim Drew he can copy it on his drive. But none of the many PC drives I have tried will make backups.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

That is interesting. I've remastered several of the newer EA games without any issues as well. Even printed off replica labels for that good-old-days experience.

I wonder what the issue is with the flux-copy failures? I guess a 96-tpi drive tends to make a noisier copy when read back by a 48-tpi head, for one, since it doesn't do the wide erase that the commodore drives do. Have you tried doing a bulk erase before remaster?
Smooth operator
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Some people would consider the existence of these replicas an abomination, but I don't care, they are just for my use. Mostly they are all remasters from unpatched NBZ or G64 using Zoomfloppy. Marble Madness, Dragon's Lair, Questron, etc., no issues. I think it took me a while to locate an undamaged Questron image.

Exceptions:

- Ghostbusters is the north american image that runs correctly on both NTSC and PAL, but I used a parameter to patch out the copy protection because it intentionally bangs the head several times, and I won't tolerate that on my old disk drives.

- The flipside of Spy vs. Spy is the Island Caper, and I could *not* find an undamaged dump, so I had to settle for the least annoying no-intro crack I could find that keeps the title screen animation, has no graffiti, and would also load on NTSC.

- I bytepatched Elite to remove the GMA85 copy protection check. I think I had an issue where the 1571 wouldn't load it.

- Mail Order Monsters and Racing Destruction Set used the dreaded fat track, so those got patched images.

fugazi.jpg
Smooth operator
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic