Best 100% Backup Option?

Got an issue?
motrucker

Re: Best 100% Backup Option?

Post by motrucker »

dudz wrote:"jims reputation" is controversial at best =)
That may be, But that's also true of many people in the business.
The main reason I posted about the other hardware/software solutions, is that I like to see all sides of an issue presented, and they weren't here in this thread. With all due respect, I am afraid that Tachyon suffers from "tunnel vision" at times. all of these options have their strong points. It shouldn't be so hastily decided.
Would it surprise any one to find out that I have used a Kryoflux card myself, and I agree with most, that is an excellent product.
http://www.bytecellar.com/2012/01/20/th ... a-miracle/
I am fortunate in that I have an old HP desktop tower, that straddles the eras; it has an "old" parallel port, serial port and v2.0 USB ports with the XP OS. It works very well with several of the new CBM disk copy routines.
So if the hardware requirements can be met, almost any of these options can be used to back up your software. Don't reach your conclusion without some serious research though, or you may regret your choice.

C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
dudz

Post by dudz »

So if the hardware requirements can be met, almost any of these options can be used to back up your software.
it very much depends on your definition of "backup" really. eg the only solution to actually reproduce your c64 disk 100% accurately in a reliable way remains kryoflux. if all you care about is a working image to use in emulation, then all the others work fine too.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

motrucker wrote:I think Jim's repution deserves even more respect than that. After reading up on it, and being involved in a Commodore forum on this very subject, I have decided to get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperCard-for-C ... 20f99d65d1
to use with my C-128/1571 setup.
Oh, the thread I was referring is this: http://www.REMOVED.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=100
Tsss tsss... Jim Drew has used, against all logic, HC chips on the Supercard +. Its the first thing I noticed when I got the one I bought from him 2 months ago. This makes the device incredibly sensitive to noise. He replied this was so to REDUCE the amount of noise which is complete nonsense.

I promptly replaced them with appropriate HCT chips.

He also posted dozens of antagonizing messages in various PLA related threads such as claiming that I required a better logic analyzer to find (imaginary) problems with the ST PROM used as a PLA, that a 10mA PLA (this fact was actually discovered by Skoe) is a myth. Recently he also claimed that "a lot" of C64 cartridges used HC chips, while a lot of experienced C64 users and afficionados can't find any.

Just like Groepaz and Jens Schönfeld, Jim Drew has a deep understanding of the software and digital aspect of Commodore 8 bit systems but has serious shortcomings when it comes to the electrical aspect.

IMHO, the true genuine expert for making copies of highly protected software is Peter Rittwage aka r.cade. He created NIBtools.

All NIBwrite requires is a 1571 and Zoomfloppy. No parallel cable needed.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
dudz

Post by dudz »

actually for writing nibtools arent quite obtimal at all, and require quite a bit of detail knowledge to make a succesful copy. its a decent solution for reading though (and thats also the primary target for nibtools).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic