Needs some help brainstorming...

Got an issue?
retrohoarder

Needs some help brainstorming...

Post by retrohoarder »

So one of the things I'm doing these days to make ends meet is Ebaying.. (Stay with me, this will make sense eventually.)

I'm a big retrohead, and as such I'm always coming in contact with old machines that could use good homes. Lately I've been thinning my collection a bit, but I just found out that I have even more on the way soon.

I've got several C64 machines, (I really only need a couple for my own use) that will eventually get to Ebay for others to buy and enjoy.
I'm taking the extra time to run correct diagnostics, (I've got the kit) replace bad chips, clean the keyboard matrix, keys, etc. to make sure the experience is a positive one for the buyer. *You see I'm interested in folks getting into this hobby, or coming back to the fun in their childhood than just making a quick buck.

So, one thought I've got is to add the video/audio RCA output jacks. (It's an easy modification that removes the pain of that custom cable).
The other thought I have is to provide the easiest method of loading programs. I'm thinking that one of those MP3 Tape adapters would be a good addition for the person who is just starting out. They are around $25 and it's a quick build for me. Here's where the brainstorming comes in..

Are there other, reasonably inexpensive software loading methods I'm overlooking to entice not just a buyer, but also a new/returning C64 user?

I've looked at that Commodore Server, which does allow folks to load programs over an RS232/Ethernet connection, but you've got to have the V1541 program loaded already for it to work.

merman

Re: Needs some help brainstorming...

Post by merman »

Sounds interesting.

A good "how to get started guide" on paper perhaps?
TMR

Post by TMR »

retrohoarder wrote:Are there other, reasonably inexpensive software loading methods I'm overlooking to entice not just a buyer, but also a new/returning C64 user?
It depends on what you class as "reasonably inexpensive", but the SD2IEC variants out there aren't much more expensive than the MP3 cassettes and, whilst they don't do a full emulation of the 1541 drive electronics, there's a good amount of games that work.
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
retrohoarder

Post by retrohoarder »

@TMR,

I'm seeing DIY kits for the MP3 cassette interfaces around $22. The most inexpensive SDIEC interface is twice that...

Am I looking in the wrong places? :)
TMR

Post by TMR »

retrohoarder wrote:I'm seeing DIY kits for the MP3 cassette interfaces around $22. The most inexpensive SDIEC interface is twice that...

Am I looking in the wrong places? :)
That sounds about right but when you add the cost of a tape deck on as well it comes out a lot closer - the information for building the SD2IEC is available on the interwebs too, there's nothing to stop you building them yourself to lower those costs as well (building for internal mounting saves you two connectors as well). The advantage of an SD2IEC is that you don't have to faff around with finding the right track on the "tape", the C64 sees it as a primitive disk drive so you get random access to the games.
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic