Disk imaging from real drive to 1541 UII?

Got an issue?
Tachyon

Disk imaging from real drive to 1541 UII?

Post by Tachyon »

Can you directly copy real floppy disks from a real drive (eg. 1541, 1571, etc.) to the 1541 Ultimate II? In other words, it ends up as a D64 or other file on the SD-Card?

I tried using the disk copy function in the included SuperSnapshot cartridge, but while I can choose the 1541 UII drive as a destination, I can't see any way to create a blank image file or direct writes, etc.

The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
dudz

Re: Disk imaging from real drive to 1541 UII?

Post by dudz »

you can do that with the builtin copier, yes
merman

Post by merman »

The way I do it is to create the blank D64 first from the Ultimate menu, then attach it to Ultimate drive A.
My Ultimate is usually set to 9 as my physical drive is 8.
Then you can use the cartridge copiers or run any copier program.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Perfect, thanks guys.

I've been trying to copy the program side of my alignment disk to my 1541 UII so I can load it from there, that way I don't have to have 2 physical floppies hooked up when I'm aligning drives. I can load from the UII, and use the other side of the disk in the bad drive while I do the alignment without requiring a "good" 1541 to load the program. C= floppy drives chew up desk space fast, especially when you have to deal with all the serial and power cables too.

merman, that was what I needed. The steps to do it. thx
Accept no substitutes!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Tachyon wrote:Can you directly copy real floppy disks from a real drive (eg. 1541, 1571, etc.) to the 1541 Ultimate II? In other words, it ends up as a D64 or other file on the SD-Card?

I tried using the disk copy function in the included SuperSnapshot cartridge, but while I can choose the 1541 UII drive as a destination, I can't see any way to create a blank image file or direct writes, etc.
The 1541 U1 or 2 uses an SD card. I just plug the SD card to a PC then create a blank d64/g64 using DIrMaster.

The updated firmware for the 1541 U 1 or 2 supports g64 so copying protected disks with a nibbler works too.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

It just seems odd to me that this wouldn't be a core functionality of the 1541 UII. In which case it should be both simple to perform, and obvious how to do so. For example, you should have a "one button" copy function that simply asks you from where to where, and if the destination is the SD-Card or USB device, you are given a path browser and asked for a filename and the UII then creates the file during the copy process. Without this, legions of users with large collections of real floppies are somewhat secondary to people just dumping piles of .d64 files from the Internet. It seems to limit the UII's functionality as an archival device.
Anyway, this gives me a reason not to try the version 3 beta 5 firmware as it apparently doesn't (yet) implement the copier function.
Accept no substitutes!
merman

Post by merman »

I don't see that at all.

You have more than one type of cartridge built in that can do copies (file copy or disk copy).
You can run any software from disk or image, giving an even wider range of copiers.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@Tachyon
There is no direct relation between the filename of a d64 image and the label and ID inscribed in it. So, for this reason, if I had a large collection of floppies to archive - which I don't - I would prefer to use a convenient tool to create a large set of blank images with the filename of my choosing which would resemble what you see physically on the outside of the floppy. Using a C64 to do that seems impractical to me.

Its much easier to do it either with DirMaster or replicate a blank file then attribute it the desired filename using Windows.

Once you've organised the content of your SD card in the desired manner THEN you bring it to the C64 and fill it with the content of your choosing using the copier tool of your choosing and the 1541 U1/2 has many built-in - as indicated by merman.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic