C-64 PCB Through-hole Eyelet replacement

Got an issue?
scpalmer

C-64 PCB Through-hole Eyelet replacement

Post by scpalmer »

I am trying to repair a botch-job that someone before me caused. I am replacing the two 6526's on a bread bin that have been poorly replaced before. Some of the through-hole eyelets are gone, and I need to do some repair to some traces, as well. I was wondering which of these parts would be appropriate to replace the eyelets with -- I am going to install sockets instead of soldering the chips to the board so when another CIA ultimately fails, it won't be such a pain :)

http://[MOUSER-DOT-COM]/All-Manufacturers/_/N-0?Keyword=pcb+eyelet

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eslapion

Re: C-64 PCB Through-hole Eyelet replacement

Post by eslapion »

Some of the through-hole eyelets are gone, and I need to do some repair to some traces, as well.
What a mess!!

Nearly 20 years ago, I purchased some prototyping eyelets from Vector but they were too large for your needs.

My only suggestion is to use standard female pin headers instead of an actual DIP socket to give you space for soldering instruments.

See eBay item 252011129134

When soldering the pin header, use solder paste on both the top and bottom so the header solders to any close by remnant of traces on both sides of the board thereby acting as a substitute for an eyelet.

Perhaps you could apply solder paste to only the top side and solder there first then use normal solder for the bottom.

I did that once and it was a tedious and meticulous job but it worked.

The Vector eyelets were product T123 and required insertion tool FT4A.

Vector offers other eyelets here: https://www.vectorelect.com/eyelets.html

However, if you look at Dim. B, you clearly see these are too big for using with standard DIP spacing of 0.1".
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
scpalmer

Re: C-64 PCB Through-hole Eyelet replacement

Post by scpalmer »

Using headers instead is a great idea! Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic