Help needed to fix my C64 - rare KU-14194HB

Got an issue?
vgfl

Help needed to fix my C64 - rare KU-14194HB

Post by vgfl »

Hello there,
I am hoping that somebody will find the reason why my C64 displays a black screen. I checked all voltages, they seem all okay (I have three power supplies, black screen with all of them).

I have a thermal camera, so I attach a snapshot of the motherboard. For some reason the coloring is shifted by approx. 1 IC width towards the top. As expected (roughly from top to bottom):

- The two voltage regulators are warm.
- The VIC-II chip is warm too.
- The audio IC (the hottest at 48.4C), the processor, the PLA are all warm.
- One memory chip has a hot spot.

I have two VIC-II chips on order to see if they change something.
I also have the PLAnkton EV ordered from eslapion (this one will be a challenge to install, as the PLA and Processor are so close, it is impossible to insert an IC removal tool).

Thanks!!!
Vincent
Attachments
20210302-090332.jpeg
20210302-090332.jpeg (119.74 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

eslapion

Re: Help needed to fix my C64 - rare KU-14194HB

Post by eslapion »

vgfl wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:25 am - One memory chip has a hot spot.
The prime candidate...
I also have the PLAnkton EV ordered from eslapion (this one will be a challenge to install, as the PLA and Processor are so close, it is impossible to insert an IC removal tool).
I suspect you'll have to consider a Saruman-64 for the faulty DRAM.

Removing the PLA is easy with a small flat screwdriver. Lift each end a little bit at a time and you'll get there.

Very nice to have thermal imaging. Quite impressive.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
vgfl

Post by vgfl »

Thank you, eslapion!
vgfl

Post by vgfl »

Actually, I was mistaken, it's not a memory chip at the bottom, it is the Hex inverter, the HD7406P, so I guess it is normal that it is warm. It has the right voltages.
I'll wait for the PLA and for the VIC-II chips to see if it changes anything.
Vincent
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

vgfl wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:09 am Actually, I was mistaken, it's not a memory chip at the bottom, it is the Hex inverter, the HD7406P, so I guess it is normal that it is warm. It has the right voltages.
Considering where it is relative to the CIA, I am quite sure the hot chip is U9 and it is a DRAM IC.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Lenkapo

Post by Lenkapo »

What is that hot spot near the Cartridge port? Is it just a really hot resistor, if so check its resistance, if not maybe it is a corroded trace shorting something out or making not good contact.
Just a quick tip: Have you checked the voltages on the chips already and/or if possible looked at the signals such as the data lines or other clock signals to make sure non of them are stuck at 5V or GND
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic