I'm having a saving issue (video)

Got an issue?
BrianD

I'm having a saving issue (video)

Post by BrianD »

I'm trying to save code in the middle of typing it to a disk and I cant figure out why its not saving? Here's a video showing what I mean,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnHRzx ... e=youtu.be

e5frog

Re: I'm having a saving issue (video)

Post by e5frog »

You don't have to erase "READY." just continue programming where the cursor is (after it) listing will not contain the ready-word.

Didn't we solve this issue in another thread already? You can't save with the same name, either scratch it first, use the over-write command or save with a new name.

Here's some information, scroll down:
http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/VIC-1541

I recommend saving with a new name.

MAD
MAD2
MAD3
MAD4
etc

When disk is full you can erase some of the old files or grab a new disk, maybe notch it, flip it, format it and then use the other side as well.

An easy way but not my recommendation: SAVE"@0:MAD",8 to write over the old file. Note the @0: before the filename, that's the command to overwrite.
My other hobby: Image
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

e5frog wrote:You don't have to erase "READY." just continue programming where the cursor is (after it) listing will not contain the ready-word.

Didn't we solve this issue in another thread already? You can't save with the same name, either scratch it first, use the over-write command or save with a new name.

Here's some information, scroll down:
http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/VIC-1541

I recommend saving with a new name.

MAD
MAD2
MAD3
MAD4
etc

When disk is full you can erase some of the old files or grab a new disk, maybe notch it, flip it, format it and then use the other side as well.

An easy way but not my recommendation: SAVE"@0:MAD",8 to write over the old file. Note the @0: before the filename, that's the command to overwrite.
Right, right, I'm sorry. I'm such a noob with this I repeat myself.
why is it not recommended to overwrite the file?
e5frog

Post by e5frog »

Mainly because we're dealing with old hardware and maybe old floppy disks as well. If there's a physical damage to the disk it's a good idea to have backups of previous work so you don't have to enter all that data again - when you get there. Or if you happen to place the floppy on the magnetic lock of your iPhone cover... or other mishaps. It's never a bad idea to have well labled generations of your work - so you know which is the newest and oldest one.

If you're really careful you could save your work on a second floppy as well, but the listing exists in printed form so perhaps it's not that important in this case. It might be better suited for hours of homemade routines and such. ;-)
My other hobby: Image
nonex

Post by nonex »

The DOS scratch 'n replace command in the 1541 is known to be buggy, so saving with an alternate name is an easy workaround. And on the plus side, when you finally dig out your development disks 25+ years later, you'll appreciate having all the versions! It's like a retro-cvs versioning system.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

As long as you are using BASIC this should be very straight forward. If you using a 1541, stay away from the "save@" command, it could still bite you.
If you are having trouble with the DOS commands, check here: www.jbrain.com] jbrain.com/pub/cbm/manuals/JiffyDOS/JiffyDOS_V6_User...
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

With scratch and replace, if you tell it which one of the 'dual' drives you're writing to, the issue is prevented:

save "@0:filename",8,1

It's a carry over bug from when PETs were delivered with 2 drives with the same device # but were distinguishable with either the prefix 0 or 1. By specifying the 0, DOS doesn't get confused.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

motrucker wrote:As long as you are using BASIC this should be very straight forward. If you using a 1541, stay away from the "save@" command, it could still bite you.
If you are having trouble with the DOS commands, check here: http://www.jbrain.com] jbrain.com/pub/cbm/manuals/JiffyDOS/JiffyDOS_V6_User...
I don't know how that link ended up in that post. It was supposed be:
http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/SAVE
I apologize for that mistake.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Save with replace ( SAVE"@:FILENAME",8 ) works very well with the 1571 and 1581 IF you have the latest ROMs.

These are 318045-02 for 1581 and 310654-05 for 1571.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Doesn't the 1541-II also have ROMS that fixed the bugs? I think if I understand correctly it is possible to burn an EPROM for the 1541C without an adapter that has the fixed 1541-II ROM. Anyone tried this?
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic