Commodore 64 Remake

Vice, CCS64 etc
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Commodore 64 Remake

Post by Melon »

Staring Lizard has put together a brand new Commodore 64 Emulator from scratch.

Check out the touch screen hardward vide below!

[video][/video]

.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
yaztromo

Re: Commodore 64 Remake

Post by yaztromo »

Look at the size of the SID compared to the modern chips. LOL.

Really nice to see an emulator with a real SID. Not sure about that widescreen LCD display.
staringlizard

Post by staringlizard »

Hi everyone,

I am planning another version of this board. It will be even smaller than the previous one and it supports HDMI, SDcard and usb keyboard.

Please check out my kickstarter project:

Please support it if you find it to be worth creating :)

Regards,
StaringL
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

You can bet all the "experts" over on REMOVED will crawl out of the woodwork to say why this can't/shouldn't be done.
The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

I think this should really be done and I love the idea. However, looking at the kickstarter, I don't see any cartridge port or IEC port.

If this device is only equipped with a microSD card connector, does it emulate a 1541 drive like the 1541 Ultimate I/II does?

Since there is no datasette port either, does it provide C2N emulation?
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

On top of what eslapion said there is a bigger thing missing from the kickstarter. None of the rewards include the device. Im all for supporting projects but any kind of an investment expects a return otherwise it is not an investment. ;-) Don't get me wrong I think it looks fantastic and hope it is a cool project. But I prefer to pay into something I can actually purchase.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Yeah, that is pretty stupid. There's no return on investment at all. The entire project is "Give me money then maybe you can give me some more money in another kickstarter for the actual product."
Funds

The funds that I receive for this project will include:

* PCB Design

* PCB Manufacturing

* PCB Assembly

* Software Development

* Enclosure Design

The more funds I get, the better and faster we can make this project happen. Please keep in mind that this is funding for a PROTOTYPE !
All those things he can do without a kickstarter, like get a job and do it in your spare time. He's basically wanting a paycheck to do this without having a job.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Good grief people, he's completely up front (if you bother to read) about what this Kickstarter is about and what the rewards situation is and why. This is not only OK, but actually what Kickstarter is for. Raising startup funds. You don't HAVE to give rewards consisting of the device being funded, or at all. If you don't like those terms, you are completely free to choose the option to STFU and move along. The rest of us can simply make small donations we won't miss. Some of us may feel this project is well worth the effort and donate larger sums to support it.
Don't forget, he already built a similar device for his own purposes and then a bunch of complainers whined he should make a for sale product out of it, then when he starts to work on it, people complain again.
The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

You're right and it's OK to create any Kickstarter you like and you don't HAVE to give anything as I'm sure the Kickstarter rules must say.

Also don't be surprised when people voice their criticism for a badly thought out Kickstarter project instead of STFU and moving along. Also don't be surprised if there is little interest in a Kickstarter which offers a very flaky pie-in-the-sky return on investment for a device which already has several competitors (RPI, Minimig, Any PC running VICE).

The one thing I do like about this is the socket for a real SID. If it gets funded, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the main pull for most backers.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Wow, just STFU and move along, eh? Thats a little harsh for an open discussion and an opinion. It is not about complaining or whining it is about what we want to invest in. We aren't the one seeking the investors so it is not unreasonable to share a little feedback on what may get an investment. But apparently you don't think so. You are welcome to your opinion but don't tell others to shut up because they don't see it the same way.

Any device that tries to recreate the C64 I would of course be interested in. But I would rather invest in production units and receive one as a return as my funds for this hobby are not infinite. I think given all the hardware projects on kickstarter where the hardware is the "reward" it is not an unreasonable expectation...
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic