C64 Reloaded

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
eslapion

Re: C64 Reloaded

Post by eslapion »

@Zippy Zap
I don't want to be biased and I think you bring a lot of important points.
If the HC chips are bad for my setup I haven't noticed it and hopefully wont.
They're not bad for your setup, they're bad for people who want to create new stuff using today's technology.

Normal TTL-LS have a threshold voltage of about 1.5 volts while HC chips running at 5V have this threshold at about 2.5V. Whatever is below this voltage is a zero, whatever is above is a logic 1.

TTL-LS chip usually signal a zero between 0.3 and 0.7 volts so that's no problem and they signal a 1 between 3.4 volts and 4.2 volts so it's not a problem most of the time.

However, cartridges like Easyflash 3 and 1541 Ultimate 2 use low voltage CMOS chips which signal a zero at about 0.1-0.2 volts so that's no problem but they can signal a 1 between 2.6 volts and 3.3 volts and that can become a very big deal.

If newer stuff comes along that uses 2.5 volts CMOS then it will work well on all normal C64 but not on the C64r because half a dozen chips on it should have been HCT. HC and HCT chips are exactly the same price...

You also saw the "couldn't be bothered" attitude of Jim Drew and Schönfeld.

I was actually very interested in buying a C64r until I noticed this problem. I got completely turned off when I saw Jen's reaction.

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me.

I don't use my C64R very often, it is mostly for PAL stuff. It is more of a backup. When I get my new Office setup my C= stuff will get more use and I will have room to do some of the things I have always wanted to do, like finish learning ML programming, etc. Hard to do that now on my cramped desk.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
zap

Post by zap »

Stingray :) Would be amongst the most honest guys/gals i know that has built a truly killer piece of hardware for the C64. :) Stingray is the main driving force behind the annual Brisbane C64 Night we host here in Brisbane. His time is under great demand from work and family, yet Stingray manages to finds time for the C-64. He works for a large electronics firm in the final testing and design department. Stingray does not stand on the shoulders of giants like most! i know in the C64 community by simple copy what others have done and reproduce it like it was their own.

There are others that don't have much time to spare yet find time for a little C64 magic. http://alienflash.cbm8bit.com
The of Alienflash cartridges were completely hand assembled at home so not many were built! They demanded much of his valuable time to build. Anyone that's worth their salt would know how time consuming each of these cartridges is to assemble to a very high standard.

Shane.
C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search
dudz

Post by dudz »

i know in the C64 community by simple copy what others have done and reproduce it like it was their own.
uhm what are you trying to say.... its basically an easyflash3 (although not really compatible iirc) :)

also, wrong thread eh? :)
zap

Post by zap »

The AlienFlash was years before the easyflash3 was even thought of and i was commenting on a thread in this topic from a user stating he could only think of two honest hardware builders. I edited it a bit and lost the reply quotes.... my bad. please forgive me I'll endeavor to do better.
I was trying to say, That their are more than two honest hardware builders and gave an example.

Shane.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

zap wrote:I was trying to say, That their are more than two honest hardware builders and gave an example.
There are certainly dozens of very honest hardware designers/builders in the Commodore community.

It's just so sad a few very vocal hive minded ones sour a lot of the fun for everyone else.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
zap

Post by zap »

It's unfortunate i would have to agree with that..... And some are considered as gods....

Shane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic