C64 Reloaded

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

C64 Reloaded

Post by Melon »

.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
Disc Master I

Re: C64 Reloaded

Post by Disc Master I »

Awesome! I can't wait to see this released.

I've often wondered (wished) if we'd ever see new C64 releases. I mean internals and of course the casing and keyboard, etc... I know a major company would never do such a thing but I hold on to hope that one day a complete (non-emulated) C64 would be made available by companies such as Individual Computers. I've dreamt of a new release with a case similar to the old C65 design with the built in 3.5" floppy bay/drive. I know that is probably not optimal anymore as 3.5" floppies are hard to come by, but perhaps a similar looking bay the size of a CF or SD card slot would be neat. Anyhow, the C64 is an amazing computer and I'm glad that so many others feel the same way. It's allowed me to keep part of my childhood alive by being able to play and enjoy my C64 like I did back in the mid 1980s when I was in junior high school. :)

Anyhow, I'll be following C64 Reloaded for certain and hope to pick one or two up when they are ready for sale.

John
joshuadenmark

Post by joshuadenmark »

I guess this is an april fool :lol:
nonex

Post by nonex »

joshuadenmark wrote:I guess this is an april fool :lol:
It's not. Jens likes to announce stuff on April 1st. :) Hopefully someone will smash some sense into him so he adds support for a second sid chip. Crossing my fingers.
joshuadenmark

Post by joshuadenmark »

I hope it is for real, it would be nice with new spareparts to keep us going.
satpro

Post by satpro »

For the life of me I cannot understand why so many people are against the idea of a next-generation C64. The arguments about it over at REMOVED are incredible! I don't get it -- a new hardware design would free us from the copyright/legal shackles of the original computer, and things like stereo sound, Internet access, and better DOS and graphics only seem like a plus to me. I love my computer, but it could be so much more now, 30 years later. I'm not going to spend a dime on a 30-year-old design for the same reason I wouldn't buy a PT Cruiser, VW Bug, or Thunderbird.

It is time for something new.
nonex

Post by nonex »

Yep, nothing wrong with it being a bit different. Then we can call any computer with this particular motherboard a "c64r".
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

satpro wrote:For the life of me I cannot understand why so many people are against the idea of a next-generation C64. The arguments about it over at REMOVED are incredible! I don't get it -- a new hardware design would free us from the copyright/legal shackles of the original computer, and things like stereo sound, Internet access, and better DOS and graphics only seem like a plus to me. I love my computer, but it could be so much more now, 30 years later. I'm not going to spend a dime on a 30-year-old design for the same reason I wouldn't buy a PT Cruiser, VW Bug, or Thunderbird.

It is time for something new.
To be fair the people on that REMOVED thread that are against any extra features are in the minority. They are just the vocal minority.

I don't see the point of blowing ~£150 on a bare board with missing chips when ~£40 gets you a C64C + Chips + Case in mint condition. For such an expensive price I would expect some extra features, at the very least a second SID chip socket.
satpro

Post by satpro »

yaztromo wrote:To be fair the people on that REMOVED thread that are against any extra features are in the minority. They are just the vocal minority.

I don't see the point of blowing ~£150 on a bare board with missing chips when ~£40 gets you a C64C + Chips + Case in mint condition. For such an expensive price I would expect some extra features, at the very least a second SID chip socket.
I don't see the point either, but I would like to see something new, however. The vocal minority you speak of have this way of crushing the creative flow. Most people are intimidated by behavior like that, and I find it disheartening at times, too. It's the reason some of us decided to join here.

Pushing and expanding the limits of anything, be it hardware or software, is a sign of progress and I admire that.
zap

Post by zap »

This is a great project i look forward too seeing one in person. :) as for more features they could be a expanded version at a later date. Yeah REMOVED has a few large personalities but that's the same for all communities and work places etc.

Hey there is no http://cbm8bit.com/banner-exchange/ here.... must be hiding somewhere maybe up top err mouse over here err... not happy!

Cheers
zap
C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic