C64 Reloaded

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
ckoba

Re: C64 Reloaded

Post by ckoba »

Come on, guys, you know that logic doesn't work when dealing with him. And this has been the case for a very, VERY long time.

Here are two examples, with a sub-example:

* He once claimed that he had ported Photoshop to the Amiga, with Adobe's knowledge. This was definitely refuted by a member of the Photoshop team at Adobe. Google Group link to the refutation: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sy ... XZA_hQtHkJ

* He once claimed that he'd written a software routine that was licensed by Commodore for the CD32. This was definitely refuted by a Commodore engineer who knew everyone that was being name-dropped, and not a single one of them could support the allegation. A Google Group link to the first refutation is https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sy ... -N8HU6jksJ ... it's a long thread, but worth reading. Search for "Ken Dyke" in the thread to get the general gist.

* In addition, it was (IMO convincingly) put forth that the software routine in question was "borrowed" from somewhere else. Same thread as above, Google Group link https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sy ... _zkckZ_EEJ ... the meat is this: "See jim, the blitter routine which you claim is licensed to commodore and under patent is mine. Its also the routine which sparked your claim i should go to programming school, so I can learn to program as well as it."

This discussion is just a small footnote in the long, LONG war he's been having with "truth" and "reality". Compared to the other ... well, let's be nice and say "things he said that were not intended to be factual statements", this is small potatoes.

ckoba

Post by ckoba »

s/definitely/definitively/g in the post above. I don't know what happened there.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@ckoba
I guess then the same applies to Schönfeld with his claim there's nothing wrong with a logic threshold voltage of 4.7V and his claim that ALL PROMs used as PLA will generate bus contentions (my 500MHz logic analyzer disagrees...) or that using multiple CMOS ROMs in a C64 can cause damage (Skoe had a good laugh on this one) !!!
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
ckoba

Post by ckoba »

@eslapion

I guess so, because all three of those claims are demonstrably false. And I agree with Skoe; that last bit is funny as hell.

There's something weird, sick, and pathological about the Commodore community. It seems to have been attracting liars, fraudsters, and thieves (or a combination of all three) since I began watching the community in the early eighties, and it seems to be a Commodore-specific phenomenon.

The weirdest thing is that the community embraces these toxic people and defend them against those who try to bring sanity back to the table. If you take the time to read that mega-thread I linked to in the second bullet point, you'll see many examples of the very behavior that brought you here. That was twenty years ago, and the community's collective behavior hasn't changed a bit.

I'm sure that a sociologist would be able to write multiple papers on the subject of irrational Commodore personalities ...
ckoba

Post by ckoba »

Also, s/had ported/was going to port/ on the first bullet point, just in case he stops by to nitpick. Grammar issue, as the language I speak at work has a completely different tense structure from English, and I hadn't mentally switched back to English when I wrote that.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

ckoba wrote:There's something weird, sick, and pathological about the Commodore community. It seems to have been attracting liars, fraudsters, and thieves (or a combination of all three) since I began watching the community in the early eighties, and it seems to be a Commodore-specific phenomenon.
I got my own first C64 rather late (summer 1985). Back then I remember idiots who said they wouldn't use the Fastload cartridge because it makes the disks spin faster and can damage them and swore by that claim.

I was so baffled because reducing load time actually reduces wear on the floppies. Fastload has no impact at all on the disk rotation speed, it just reduces load time.

Back then I thought it was just a few freak eccentric idiots who spewed this sort of nonsense. I quickly realized it was a sadly large percentage of the Commodore users who each had their own urban legends about the C64 and some of its peripherals, add-ons or software.

I'll remember Drew's ribbon cable and 1571 power supply...
The weirdest thing is that the community embraces these toxic people and defend them against those who try to bring sanity back to the table. If you take the time to read that mega-thread I linked to in the second bullet point, you'll see many examples of the very behavior that brought you here. That was twenty years ago, and the community's collective behavior hasn't changed a bit.

I'm sure that a sociologist would be able to write multiple papers on the subject of irrational Commodore personalities ...
Hey TNT, take notice ?

I do vaguely remember reading on "the forbidden forum" a post from somebody saying he sided 100% with the "PLA mafia" because they were supposedly so knowledgeable about the C64.

Begs the question: Who's more dangerous, the master or the worshipers ?

Look at the Atmel PLA thread (you know where)... Nobody... not a single soul posted anything in that thread after Skoe. Why do you think? Dissent is not tolerated.
Last edited by eslapion on Fri May 27, 2016 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Don't click on that link: removed.com is a malware site, it'll open to one of those stupid uncloseable "network security warning" pages.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Gyro Gearloose wrote:Don't click on that link: removed.com is a malware site, it'll open to one of those stupid uncloseable "network security warning" pages.
That was just a portion of the link being redacted.
ckoba

Post by ckoba »

eslapion wrote: Begs the question: Who's more dangerous, the master or the worshipers ?

Look at the Atmel PLA thread (you know where)... Nobody... not a single soul posted anything in that thread after Skoe. Why do you think? Dissent is not tolerated.
It's odd that the Commodore community (well, portions of it) seem to have more in common with Scientology than with other home computer communities (Atari, MSX, TI, etc).

The parallels are interesting. CBM (the company) would be the equivalent of Hubbard, both of whom designed and distributed the product before dying. That would make the folks who misdesign hardware, misappropriate software, and squash dissent the equivalent of Miscavage and the OSA. Your expulsion from the community would be the equivalent of being declared a suppressive person and fair-gamed.

To answer your question directly: in my opinion, the worshipers are nearly always more dangerous.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@ckoba
What an interesting parallel. Schönfeld did refer to 'beliefs' when trying to discourage the use of PROM based PLA substitutes on the C64r. I believe what my scope and logic analyzer tell me...

There is an interesting resemblance to this movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic