Pal C64 in North America.

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Syrax

Pal C64 in North America.

Post by Syrax »

I was in another area on the forum, and a member mentioned using a Pal machine in North America. Couple of questions: Other than a power convertor, what else is required? Obviously old crts will not work, but if I use a Chroma+Luma+Composite+Audio cable connector to a new LED tv, will it work?
Thanks for any replies. I defer to the more knowledgable.

craftsman1234

Re: Pal C64 in North America.

Post by craftsman1234 »

I have several that have been converted. If you have a normal 110v power supply it will work.

The croma/luma cable may or may not work depending on the TV or LED. Even though my Dell monitors say they do PAL to will not display anything via s-video. Some monitors and TV are designed to display both PAL or NTSC. Some Sony CRT monitors do both modes.

I've ended up using a modified s-video cable to HDMI converter box to display to my TV or newer monitor.
Syrax

Post by Syrax »

craftsman1234 wrote:I have several that have been converted. If you have a normal 110v power supply it will work.

The croma/luma cable may or may not work depending on the TV or LED. Even though my Dell monitors say they do PAL to will not display anything via s-video. Some monitors and TV are designed to display both PAL or NTSC. Some Sony CRT monitors do both modes.

I've ended up using a modified s-video cable to HDMI converter box to display to my TV or newer monitor.
Thanks for your input. I really am considering this. Have to do some research on the tv I have in mind.
nonex

Post by nonex »

Syrax wrote:I was in another area on the forum, and a member mentioned using a Pal machine in North America. Couple of questions: Other than a power convertor, what else is required? Obviously old crts will not work, but if I use a Chroma+Luma+Composite+Audio cable connector to a new LED tv, will it work?
Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to use an overseas power supply -- NTSC power supplies work. Or you could do what I do and use wall-warts (5VDC + 9VAC) on a switchable power strip.

There are a number of solutions to the display. I have an old HP monitor, which included a SVIDEO input. I can get a picture on it, but it is black and white. Was good for testing. Then I picked up a $15 EZ-CAP usb capture device which can do PAL, and it actually works pretty well when run via a program called "dscaler 4" (windows). You can use it full-screen or work it like picture-in-picture on your PC. You won't get silky smooth 50hz that way though most likely, but its great for music apps and assemblers, etc. Very handy.

Even better than that is to acquire a SONY PVM monitor. They are all over ebay for cheap and do proper PAL at 50hz with a Trinitron CRT. What more could you want! 100% authentic. I picked up one at xmas for $40 dollars (free shipping) and the picture is *f'kn lovely!!* Silky smooth and nice color when used with a good SVIDEO cable. The PVM-14N1U I got doesn't have that great a filter or something, so it exhibited Dot Crawl with the composite input. SVIDEO is SPOT ON! I can't recommend the PVM enough.

Then there is the Turbo Chameleon 64 with VGA output. That works good too! Plus you have 1541 emulations and alternate computer cores! Amiga and Spectrum cores are fully fleshed out.

PAL is the way to go. It's a whole other world and an essential step if you're a c64 nerd. You won't go back!!
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

Hmm... wish there were some of them thar Sony monitors in Canada. Shipping of $80 on top of the price is just... ugh.
Syrax

Post by Syrax »

nonex wrote:
Syrax wrote:I was in another area on the forum, and a member mentioned using a Pal machine in North America. Couple of questions: Other than a power convertor, what else is required? Obviously old crts will not work, but if I use a Chroma+Luma+Composite+Audio cable connector to a new LED tv, will it work?
Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to use an overseas power supply -- NTSC power supplies work. Or you could do what I do and use wall-warts (5VDC + 9VAC) on a switchable power strip.

There are a number of solutions to the display. I have an old HP monitor, which included a SVIDEO input. I can get a picture on it, but it is black and white. Was good for testing. Then I picked up a $15 EZ-CAP usb capture device which can do PAL, and it actually works pretty well when run via a program called "dscaler 4" (windows). You can use it full-screen or work it like picture-in-picture on your PC. You won't get silky smooth 50hz that way though most likely, but its great for music apps and assemblers, etc. Very handy.

Even better than that is to acquire a SONY PVM monitor. They are all over ebay for cheap and do proper PAL at 50hz with a Trinitron CRT. What more could you want! 100% authentic. I picked up one at xmas for $40 dollars (free shipping) and the picture is *f'kn lovely!!* Silky smooth and nice color when used with a good SVIDEO cable. The PVM-14N1U I got doesn't have that great a filter or something, so it exhibited Dot Crawl with the composite input. SVIDEO is SPOT ON! I can't recommend the PVM enough.

Then there is the Turbo Chameleon 64 with VGA output. That works good too! Plus you have 1541 emulations and alternate computer cores! Amiga and Spectrum cores are fully fleshed out.

PAL is the way to go. It's a whole other world and an essential step if you're a c64 nerd. You won't go back!!
So I can use a conventional C64 North American power supply. Huh, did not know that. If that is the case the jiffydos I would imagine is the same for both machines as well. The tv I have in the bedroom seems to work fine in AV mode. So I should be good there:
Model KDL50R550A
Screen Size 50" (126 cm), 16:9
TV System 1 (Digital/Analog): B/G, D/K, I, M
Colour System PAL, SECAM, NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43 in AV only

Only thing to worry about is how the picture will look on a 50inch screen. (pixels will be rather large). Eventually might look into a monitor, but never a crt.
Syrax

Post by Syrax »

metalfoot wrote:Hmm... wish there were some of them thar Sony monitors in Canada. Shipping of $80 on top of the price is just... ugh.
Shipping is always the pits isn't it. For this reason, I would rule out a crt, unless I could get one locally. Check Kijiji, might get lucky.
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

I have a 1084S and an 1802C monitor here, but yeah, if I ever want to go PAL, it'd be handy to get a Sony...
nonex

Post by nonex »

Just bookmark the search and keep checking. I bought the cheapest one because I figured I might need a couple of attempts for something to arrive safely. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box and it was not filled with broken glass!

There are a lot of different PVM models, from security to broadcast to medical and they come in various sizes too. The arcade board nuts, they go crazy for the high-end large-sized medical ones. An interesting read. Actually, if you ever watched House MD, they have had a bunch of PVMs on the show, probably the earlier seasons before they started switching to flat-panels.
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

So you're saying I should look into a PAL C64 at some point?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic