REU for C-64 & C-128

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
motrucker

Re: REU for C-64 & C-128

Post by motrucker »

eslapion wrote:The REU I was working on used static RAM chips specifically select for having a low power "sleep" mode that draws only 9 microwatts to keep content. A watch lithium battery was enough to keep it going for years.
I didn't think of that, and I was just reading about SRAM too. http://www.differencebetween.net/techno ... -and-dram/
That mean that a battery backed up REU is, indeed possible. Good news.

C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
dudz

Post by dudz »

the problem is still the demand though.... it seems its always the same handful people asking for it.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

dudz wrote:the problem is still the demand though.... it seems its always the same handful people asking for it.
Demand has diminished considerably since the arrival of the 1541 Ultimate Plus and 1541 Ultimate II which incorporate REU functionality.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
icbrkr

Post by icbrkr »

Back in the day you could buy a BBU - a battery back up unit for your 1750/clone that used D sized batteries (...) and a power supply to battery back up your RAM. I'd be pretty happy with that really... reloading things into RAM isn't a whole lot of fun.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Without a working clone of the MOS 8726 REC this project isn't likely to get far. Most of the REU clones now on the market still require an original 8726 from a real REU which seems to defeat the purpose.

The other problem is that the whole thing must end up supporting 16MB and being cheaper than a 1541 UII or there's not much point in it. The 1541 UII's REU emulation supports 128k to 16MB REU emulation. Given that, unless this new REU supports at least that much storage at half the price or less, there's not much point in it. You'd just as well buy a 1541 UII.

That said, I think that reverse engineering the MOS 8726 REC is a worthwhile project and one I have been planning to encourage in the Commodore Community Consortium.
The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

motrucker wrote:Would the Commodore community be interested in an REU up to 16 Mb for the Commodore C-64 and C-128 computers? 1750 compatible if at all possible, and inexpensive enough that it would not break the bank...
FYI, this is on the Commodore Community Consortium project list. Feel free to the CCC as a collaboration tool. We can also host a Hangout on the topic if you wish.
https://plus.google.com/+ChristopherGau ... aLU76uNRoF
The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

The one Jens proposed and said he would create if enough interest, my understanding is it would not require that chip. It would be 16MB and, IIRC would be in the $50- $60 price range. It is still unclear if enough people expressed interest in it by emailing the icomp.de store.

I hope it gets done as it would be great.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Virginia Slim

Post by Virginia Slim »

Guys: Hi, I'm new here, but am on other forums. I also think this new new reu-clone would be great.
Just 2-3 days ago, I e-mailed Jens again to support this. I got a reply yesterday, wherein he stated that the project was on hold due to insufficient interest. Can anyone else help here?
Oh, there's a post from yesterday -icbrkr- asking about a plug-in devbice which you then plugged your reu into; D-cell(s) kept this 'live'. I remember seeing this in disk-mags and such back in the day. (For me, 'the day' was the 1990's, and LoadStar and CMD were my primary source of C= news, along with occasional others.) I remember these units icbrkr talks about; whenever I tried to purchase one they were always sold. Can anyone figure to construct a device like this ?
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Welcome!

That stinks. I know there are a few people that don't like Kickstarter but it seems this would be a good project for it. It is so hard to judge interest based on 1 or 2 forums. There are bound to be C64 users that are not on the forums.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

I have a VHDL model of the REU I bought from Gideon... just don't have the time and money to get a new PCB designed.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic