SwinSID... what about it?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
eslapion

SwinSID... what about it?

Post by eslapion »

Anybody can tell me the pros and cons of SwinSID/Nano SwinSID ?

I heard it doesn't support paddles, is that true?

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Heart

Re: SwinSID... what about it?

Post by Heart »

I tried SwinSID maybe a year ago and sent it back. It sounded decent with some SID music and games, but not so good with others. The pins of the IC that I got were FAT--so fat that I felt like I was ruining the socket trying to push it in.

My impression of the SwinSID is that it's a good idea, but needs to be put back in the oven to finish baking. It wasn't a good experience for me and if I need another SID, I would just buy another C64 or C128 on eBay. But perhaps it has improved since my experience with it.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I recently purchased a SwinSID Nano and I'm reasonably pleased with it. The recent firmware seems solid as far as the audio emulation goes.
Unfortunately I can't help you with regards to paddles as I have none to test with. If anyone knows the resistance range and schematic of the paddles, I could probably rig one up with a POT to test it.
While that feature may not have been implemented in early versions, I don't see any technical or hardware hurdles to implementing it. The chip used it certainly capable of AD conversion.
The Real, Original Tachyon.
Accept no substitutes!
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

It's okay as a replacement if you can't get hold of a real SID. The emulation isn't perfect but it's not terrible either.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@Yaztromo and Tachyon
Did you guys also get problems with the size of the pins ?
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
dudz

Post by dudz »

paddles are 470kOhm resistors connected from POTX/POTY to VCC (click)

the original swinsid doesnt support it (neither the firmware, nor the hardware). somewhere in the german forum64 is a long thread about it, and someone came up with a new hardware and firmware that supports paddles - that isnt available available in assembled form however.

regarding emulation quality - it very much depends on what you expect and what you are going to use it for, i guess.... for casual gaming its probably good enough, for making SID tunes or watching demos that use the latest tricks (especially regarding sample replay) its not so great :)
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@dudz
Thanks for the info!

I couldn't care less for the latest sample tricks so I guess the only hurdle for me is the paddles since I do play a couple of games that require them. Lemans is among them.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Keep in mind that it's still under development and firmware updates make emulation improvements each time.
The SwinSID Nano I bought had no pin size issues. It fit easily and perfectly.
As for paddles, I'll give a try and report back...
Accept no substitutes!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Meanwhile eslapion check out http://www.forum64.de/wbb3/board65-neue ... ddles-etc/

The hardware revision of the SwinSID Nano I have certainly seems capable of handling paddles with only a SW upgrade.
Accept no substitutes!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Tachyon wrote:The hardware revision of the SwinSID Nano I have certainly seems capable of handling paddles with only a SW upgrade.
Kewl! Noted!

8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic