GandALF

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
eslapion

GandALF

Post by eslapion »

Something new coming our way soon!
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Gyro Gearloose

Re: GandALF

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Oh you're dangling a shiny at us, eh? Is that "G and ALF"? :)

Is that the next member of this family you were referring to?

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

:shock:

No... not quite...

That's more like Gate and Array Logic for Floppy.
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

So it's not from Melmac... A universal 40 pin replacement? It's a CIA, it's a VIC-II?

I'll keep guessing...
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

I was reading this thread, and mindlessly doing a search or two (I love multitasking - real or fudged) and ran across this. Interesting reading from some one who's name pops up every now and again.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Had the PCBs sent for fab to OshPark but these clowns advertise they mail through USPS on their web site yet they sent me the boards, from US to Canada with UPS.

Now, just in case you don't know, there was a legal battle between the govt of Canada and UPS/Fedex for charging illegal customs brokerage fees so UPS simply delivers your package at the customs and expects you to provide your own cutoms broker.

That's fine if you run a large company and import/export thousands of dollars of merchandise every year; you probably can afford your own broker. I sure can't.

I'll have to get the boards redone elsewhere and wait another few weeks. :evil:
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

You can clear your own... It's not hard. You'll have to call UPS and get the paperwork, then work it out with customs, and send the cleared papers back to UPS. Ugh, or just complain to OSHPark, they might make another batch and send it DHL, they're OK that way apparently.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

This is the magic number you need to show customs:

HS Code: 8538.90.2000

It is in here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commer ... 13-eng.pdf

With this information, Canada Customs knows it is dealing with someone who knows what's going on. They will quickly release the item and give you the papers that UPS wants...

edit: In any case, it's a low value shipment and shouldn't be dramatic to clear.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Gyro Gearloose wrote:You can clear your own... It's not hard. You'll have to call UPS and get the paperwork, then work it out with customs, and send the cleared papers back to UPS. Ugh, or just complain to OSHPark, they might make another batch and send it DHL, they're OK that way apparently.
The 4 magic letters I want to see from now on is USPS. Nothing else will work with me.

DHL do deliver properly but they do exactly what landed UPS and Fedex in troubled waters; one month after receiving your package and paying your import taxes and duties you receive a nice 50$ bill for customs brokering a package worth 5$...

Never had any problems with Canada Post and USPS.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Hey you don't need to tell *me*, I used to work for UPS customer service. I was the schmuck who got an earful from the customers on a daily basis. I also much prefer USPS when it comes to the border.

I've been lucky with DHL so far; don't know why. I ordered some crap and it got here fine, no surprises later.

But yeah, screw UPS with a rusty fork.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic