What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Dr.Strange

Re: What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Post by Dr.Strange »

What hedning said.

And after that, a 1541-II.

motrucker

Post by motrucker »

sm3 wrote:I'd have to agree with TMR, the Turbo Chameleon 64. I just wished it had a 128 version, as I'm partial to using the Commodore 128 as well. Fortunately, my 1541 Ultimate 1+ works with the 128. That TC64 is really a neat little device, the VGA adapter is one reason I purchased it, plus you can use it in standalone mode and connect a real Commodore 64/Amiga 500 keyboard as well as joysticks if you purchased the docking station!
This is strange. I have just finaly found a Chameleon that I can afford, so It is on the way. This made more sense than buying the 1541 Ultimate II, since the Chameleon does so much more, and isn't that much more money.. I can't wait for it to get here!
https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/pro ... on_64.html
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

I have had a hard time justifying the cost of the chameleon. Where did you find a deal on it?
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

My favorite piece of Commodore made hardware for 8 bit computers is the 1581 drive.

My favorite piece of hardware from Commodore in general is the Amiga 3000.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

Zippy Zapp wrote:I have had a hard time justifying the cost of the chameleon. Where did you find a deal on it?
Fortunately I still have some contacts from our Commodore user group days. This old friend lives in New York state now, and gave me a good deal on the cartridge. It still just about broke my retro computer fund, but I don't care.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
Heart

Post by Heart »

If I could have only one extra piece of hardware for the Commodore 64/128, it would have to be the RAMLink. Since owning a RAMDrive in the early 90s (and later a RAMLink) I have always had one plugged in. It's my day-to-day workhorse and I use it every time I turn my 64/128 on. I'm not in to games much anymore, but I used to be, and played Neuromancer, Wasteland, Faery Tale, Elvira, Bard's Tale 3, Infocom games, Mars Saga, and others--all on a RAMLink. All of my programming in C, Assembly, Forth, and PROMAL, is with a RAMLink.

On top of that the RAMLink is SuperCPU compatible, has a pass-thru port for other cartridges, a RAM expansion port, and battery backup.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

RAMLink sounds cool. I never had one of those. Back in the day it was just 1541, 1571, 1581, 1764 which were all used with our BBS. I still have all of them.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Heart

Post by Heart »

I forgot to mention RAMLink's parallel port for connecting a hard-drive and RAMLink's RTC to search for files by date.
Zippy Zapp wrote:Back in the day it was just 1541, 1571, 1581, 1764 which were all used with our BBS. I still have all of them.
The RAMLink does a great job of emulating 1541, 1571, 1581.
MMS

Post by MMS »

1571 Disk drive :-)
Despite it runs only at the speed of 1541/II on my C64 and Plus/4, I think it is one of the most sleek and nice looking floppy drive ever made. Not just Commodore. ;)
jiffy

Post by jiffy »

A 1571 would be very high on my list, too. Likewise with the 1581, by the way. Exceptional diskdrives, complete with good looks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic