What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
fuzzybad

Re: What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Post by fuzzybad »

My current favorite bit of hardware FOR Commodore computers has got to be EasyFlash3 cartridge. There have been some excellent CRT releases recently of disk games which were practically unplayable (Battle Chess) or didn't exist at all (Prince of Persia). Besides that, it allows me to use JiffyDOS Kernal with ANY C64/128 (I've probably spent several hundred dollars on JiffyDOS chips over the years) as well as capability to be a Super Snapshot or Action Replay cartridge.

My favorite hardware FROM Commodore? Guess I'd have to go with the C64 itself! :)

motrucker

Post by motrucker »

MMS wrote:1571 Disk drive :-)
Despite it runs only at the speed of 1541/II on my C64 and Plus/4, I think it is one of the most sleek and nice looking floppy drive ever made. Not just Commodore. ;)
I would be lost without the 1571 drives I use. I usually use a C-128, so they make even more sense. Great drives.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Thinking about the 1571 disk drive, it's not my favorite piece of hardware and I mostly use it as a 1541 disk drive but it has a few very interesting features.

These include:
- Incredibly stable and near perfect head alignment which usually keeps perfectly and doesn't degrade over time
- Perfect rotation speed as it uses a direct drive system
- Produces considerably less heat than a real 1541 since it uses a switching power supply
- Pleasant "door lever" and smart spring eject mechanism
- JiffyDOS doesn't require a switch, it's autosensing
- Device number changed with DIP switches in the back instead of softwire or hardware hack
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

+1 to the 1571.

I also like the 1581 for its storage amount as this was great in the BBS days for a decent downloads section of the newest SW.

Some other favorites:
Action Replay 4 or 5
Epyx Fastload because when this came out it was amazing.
1670 Modem 1200 Because compared to the original VIC modem we had it was so much more pleasant for BBSs and I was on BBSs or QLink most every day for a good long time between 84 - 94
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic