What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Shaun_B

What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Post by Shaun_B »

With exception to the computers, of course.

Mine would be the RAMLink, fast access to data is always good, plus the compatibility with existing hardware :-)

Regards,

Shaun.

BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
satpro

Re: What's your favourite piece of Commodore hardware?

Post by satpro »

I would go with RAMLink, too, but (also) the SuperCPU itself is truly amazing. Many people don't know what it is like working in 16-bits at 20 mhz while using the C-64. I would urge those willing to try the experience to go to http://vice.pokefinder.org/ and get the latest VICE build, which includes xscpu64, the SuperCPU emulator. I might be simple upstairs, but for me it's real enough to be real.

I never had a physical IDE64 but it's really something in emulation. Maybe one of these days I'll look into 1541 Ultimate. People seem to like it.
ajordison
Developer
Developer

Post by ajordison »

Check out these beauties!

Try out CBM prg Studio for all your Commodore development needs!
Stay a while...stay for erm quite a while!
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

I'm quite fond of the SD2IEC varietals; basically a mass storage device for your Commie which is MUCH less volatile than magnetic media and not very expensive.

For 'vintage' gear, pretty much everything CMD made was gold. Never had any of it but I remember my teenage me wishing I could afford their stuff.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Hardware made by Commodore or hardware made for Commmodore machines?

If the latter then the 1541 Ultimate II, the swiss army knife for the C64. If the former then I'd go for the 1541-II. Lovely drives.
satpro wrote:SuperCPU
You do surprise me ;)
satpro

Post by satpro »

Too predictable then, huh? :D
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

satpro wrote:Too predictable then, huh? :D
Yah but it's all good :)
TMR

Post by TMR »

At the moment it has to be the Turbo Chameleon, it never leaves the back of my work C64 and is connected to the KVM switch so i can swap between a couple of desktop PCs and the C64 at will. This is how my office looked during the last rebuild, Uridium is visible on the monitor but it's the C64 running it.

(i've switched back to a breadbin since this picture was taken... and there's a second desktop, CRT portable, Xbox 360, Wii and loads of other crap on the desk now! =-)
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
sm3

Post by sm3 »

I'd have to agree with TMR, the Turbo Chameleon 64. I just wished it had a 128 version, as I'm partial to using the Commodore 128 as well. Fortunately, my 1541 Ultimate 1+ works with the 128. That TC64 is really a neat little device, the VGA adapter is one reason I purchased it, plus you can use it in standalone mode and connect a real Commodore 64/Amiga 500 keyboard as well as joysticks if you purchased the docking station!
hedning

Post by hedning »

yaztromo wrote:Hardware made by Commodore or hardware made for Commmodore machines?

If the latter then the 1541 Ultimate II, the swiss army knife for the C64. If the former then I'd go for the 1541-II. Lovely drives.
I second this. 1541 Ultimate II is bliss.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic