where to buy replacement motherboard

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
c64rox

where to buy replacement motherboard

Post by c64rox »

ok so i have a usa commodore 64 breadbin that has bad ram as well as some other issues and im wondering where i can get a working replacement board im not tech savy so replacing the broken chips is out of the question. id be better of just swapping the board out for a working one i am in the usa

for thoes who ask the breadbin says 785 bytes free when i turn it on and has issues reading and loading floopies

Zippy Zapp

Re: where to buy replacement motherboard

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Hi. You can post a wanted post in the wanted section here on Melon. You can also try (eek) eBay or Amibay.

One thing you could try before you give up repairing is if the CIA chips are Socketed you could try swapping them and seeing if that helps. Also what type of Power Supply are you using? If it is the original Brick (of Death) then make sure you check the voltages on that.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
c64rox

Post by c64rox »

Zippy Zapp wrote:Hi. You can post a wanted post in the wanted section here on Melon. You can also try (eek) eBay or Amibay.

One thing you could try before you give up repairing is if the CIA chips are Socketed you could try swapping them and seeing if that helps. Also what type of Power Supply are you using? If it is the original Brick (of Death) then make sure you check the voltages on that.
if i may ask where online can i buy replacement chips for the C64 such as ram chips and the like
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

c64rox wrote:
Zippy Zapp wrote:Hi. You can post a wanted post in the wanted section here on Melon. You can also try (eek) eBay or Amibay.

if i may ask where online can i buy replacement chips for the C64 such as ram chips and the like
Jameco still sells 64kx1 and 64kx4 DRAM chips. See: http://www.jameco.com/z/4164-150-Major- ... 41662.html

I believe Abra Electronics carries them too. See: https://abra-electronics.com/ics-semico ... 4-200.html

The main cause for damaged DRAM in a C64 is faulty power supplies.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

ebay doesn't appear to have any NTSC motherboards (all are PAL) but you can find a computer for almost the same price - if you feel quite lucky.
Just remember that not tested on ebay = broken.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
c64rox

Post by c64rox »

i think i will wait till i have the funds then post here for one since i trust here
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

c64rox wrote:i think i will wait till i have the funds then post here for one since i trust here
Make sure you get a new PSU too. At the very least, get one of the computer savers to use with a C-64 brick of death. Don't get any of the off brand PSUs for the 64 from ebay. Using a C-128 PSU, with a new pigtail to fit the C-64's power port is a good idea.
If your 64 has a display, but low memory count, it could very likely be fixed. Under no circumstances use the PSU that belongs to that computer unless it has been completely tested, and passes - even then use a saver with it!
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic