Commodore w/Modern Monitor

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
eslapion

Re: Commodore w/Modern Monitor

Post by eslapion »

Zippy Zapp wrote:I just picked up a N6 from a local thrift store for like $3. It is just the unit and doesn't have the remote or the AC Adapter. It looks like it is just a 12v DC 1.2A adapter I am guessing center positive. I think I have a 12v 3amp adapter that should work. If anyone has the specs that would be helpful. Does the remote do anything special that you need it for? Haven't tested it yet but hopefully it works.
That's the kind of situation where you have the safe full of gold but it's locked and you have no key.

The remote is paramount with this machine. Only it allows you to go to the menu to change resolution, refresh rate, color balance, contrast, brightness, etc...

Without the remote you can easily change the input source, channels and volume if you use the cable tuner but that's where it ends.

Also, if you have a 12V power supply, yes I can confirm you need a center positive. The original provided PSU is rated 12Vdc 1.5A even if the box itself says 1.2A.

Original PSU on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-supply-an ... Swu4BV29Nv
(you can mouse over the image to see the technical details - Yes this is exactly what I have)

I was unable to find a remote by itself on eBay. It is very small, slim and uses a watch battery.

You can see it clearly here on this photo I found on a french tech stuff forum:

A complete review of the N6:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/accessor ... on-n6.html

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Thanks for the info! Bummer about the remote. Looks like I found one on eBay that looks exactly like the one you show, hopefully it works. It doesn't say N6 just ViewSonic Remote control. But it is an exact match, visually! So I am in it a total of $18 with the remote. I like $3 better but oh well.

For power supply I assume I can use my 12v 2 or 3 amp, not sure which it is as it is at home?
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@Zippy Zapp
When I read your post, my immediate reaction was to grab my own N6 remote so I could tell you the exact model or part number. To my astonishment there isn't any in the front or back.

On the back, all it says is it requires a CR2025 lithium battery and "Made in Taiwan".
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

That's ok. Those cheap remotes seldom have numbers on it. It is probably a generic that they use for multiple things. I ordered it so hopefully it works.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@Zippy Zapp
I suppose there are programmable remote controls into which I could program the IR signals of my own original remote and then mail it to you if your eBay remote doesn't do the job.

I also found the manual for the N6 in PDF format even if Viewsonic doesn't distribute it anymore.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Cool. Thanks for the offer. The remote showed up today and looks exactly like the one pictured. I will try it all out tomorrow. My time lately has been building an office in my garage so I can have a little more room to work with all my old computers.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

eslapion wrote:I also found the manual for the N6 in PDF format even if Viewsonic doesn't distribute it anymore.
That would be great. I have searched and it seems Viewsonic doesn't have an archive for the manual. Do you have a link?

Also on this device would a 12 Volt 2.5 amp power supply be too much for it? I know some devices are designed to work only with specified specs but most seem to be fine with higher amps.
Thanks!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Zippy Zapp wrote:I have searched and it seems Viewsonic doesn't have an archive for the manual. Do you have a link?
PM me your e-mail...
Also on this device would a 12 Volt 2.5 amp power supply be too much for it? I know some devices are designed to work only with specified specs but most seem to be fine with higher amps.
Thanks!
As long as you have the right voltage and polarity, everything is fine. Your PSU must be 1.5A or more.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Cool. Will do!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic