Commodore w/Modern Monitor

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Zippy Zapp

Re: Commodore w/Modern Monitor

Post by Zippy Zapp »

That's a bummer. They are going to refund you, I hope.

I was thinking about ordering one like you did but now I think I am going to find one in the US.

Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

Zippy Zapp wrote:That's a bummer. They are going to refund you, I hope.

I was thinking about ordering one like you did but now I think I am going to find one in the US.
I paid using Paypal, so I'll be reimbursed. That's the one good thing about Paypal! My daughter is still shaking her at me, saying "I told you so" (no kidding)
The one I ordered from Virginia is due next Tuesday. Now watch the first one show up on Wednesday :shock: !
If something that crazy happens, I have a friend who would love to have the extra.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

Things seem to be going well. I have my $$$ back from the first order, and the second one just arrived today (Two days ahead of the projected delivery date, I already have it set up and working. The display is is beautiful, from the C-64 and the PS 2! I am so glad I didn't go for one of the "cheap" options.
I must thank every one who suggested I get this adapter. This is the best video upgrade I have seen, anywhere - period!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

I bought my own Nextvision N6 brand new back in early 2006 and it was quite expensive back then.

Some people from "you know where" even threw a couple of insults at me for paying what I paid for it back then but I never regretted it and it has been serving me well for a decade now.

So many mdern TVs or monitors with composite/S-Video inputs don't take the VIC-20/C64/C128 video signals properly and give horrible image quality yet the old N6 provides a perfect image quality.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

eslapion wrote:I bought my own Nextvision N6 brand new back in early 2006 and it was quite expensive back then.
Some people from "you know where" even threw a couple of insults at me for paying what I paid for it back then but I never regretted it and it has been serving me well for a decade now.
So many mdern TVs or monitors with composite/S-Video inputs don't take the VIC-20/C64/C128 video signals properly and give horrible image quality yet the old N6 provides a perfect image quality.
I have only had this unit hooked up for less than a full day, and I am can't believe how good the display quality is. I paid just under $100.00 U$D, and I think it was a steal! This was a NOS unit, the seals weren't broken. I've been catching some flack from "you know where" too, with people showing me these cheap Chinese adapters, that are really cheap, but, look like complete trash.
I am happy that I was steered to this device, and I have to say you were, in a very large way, responsible for my buying this, so I owe you a large thank you!
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

motrucker wrote:... I've been catching some flack from "you know where" too, with people showing me these cheap Chinese adapters, that are really cheap, but, look like complete trash.
Ha man... this place is truly getting to be the paradise of quick, easy and sloppy...

I've been rebuffed in the same way a few years back by the same people when I mentioned my satisfaction with the N6.

I remember bringing my N6 to the World of Commodore events in 2006 and 2007 to show some stuff and the first thing people asked me was how I was able to get such good quality display from a C64/VIC-20 on a 17" flat panel computer screen.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

I haven't had any luck getting my C64 to look good on a modern display yet. If I want to have a night on the C64 I have to phsyically swap out my 32" Samsung LED for the 21" Trinitron. Bit of a PITA really.
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

eslapion wrote:
motrucker wrote:....Viewsonic Nextvision N6....

Just don't lose the remote or else it will be a total pain to configure the resolution.
I wasn't all that smitten with mine actually. The 1st thing that put me off was the size of this beastie. The next was the video quality. I used it out of the box, didn't even look at the instructions or use the remote. I think maybe I need to give it a 2nd shot?
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@mrr19121970
I think the default resolution is 1024x768 which works well for most cases but there are higher resolutions available - I use 1280x1024.

Once set, you usually only need to switch the power and input which are selectable on the front panel.

If the resolution selected doesn't match the cell resolution of your display then you have double scaling which could result in poor image quality (i.e. selecting 1280x1024 with a flat panel which really has 1024x768 LCD cells).

In NTSC land you also have to make sure you use 60Hz refresh.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

I just picked up a N6 from a local thrift store for like $3. It is just the unit and doesn't have the remote or the AC Adapter. It looks like it is just a 12v DC 1.2A adapter I am guessing center positive. I think I have a 12v 3amp adapter that should work. If anyone has the specs that would be helpful. Does the remote do anything special that you need it for? Haven't tested it yet but hopefully it works.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic