Elite Dangerous First Impressions

Games, Productivity Tools etc
gameznut

Elite Dangerous First Impressions

Post by gameznut »

I`m sure that a great deal of you guys will have heard about Elite Dangerous, I`m sure the Elite/Frontier Series needs no Introduction.
ED went Gold on Dec 19th and as an early backer I have been playing right from early Beta stage. Now I`m an Avid fan of the series so I`m obviously very Biased but I`m glad to say that IMHO the finished product is a Remarkable Game in many ways, even in Beta Stage I found the gameplay as a whole very well put together and remarkably smooth without too many bugs/problems. Anyone who enjoyed Elite and/or Frontier etc will enjoy Elite Darkness as long as you have a fairly modest PC that is, too put it into perspective I have a Modest system
Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40 Ghz -- 8GB Ram -- Geforce GTX 650
I can run ED at 1080P @ High Detail and maintain a good Framerate of 30-70 fps. That said if your fortunate enough to have a better GPU the game is capable of running at 4k.
Some of you might be wondering about the Multiplayer side, while you can switch between SOLO (offline) or OPEN (online) I can confirm that even with my Very poor (1-2MB DSL) it`s very playable Online and imho the way to go, one small gripe with OPEN play is upon entering the ED universe you are randomly placed and sometimes while visiting the smaller installations you can often wait a long time to Dock because of the limited space inside those facility`s, but you can logoff and switch to Solo mode,Dock and re-log back to OPEN play.
I could go on and on about this game but suffice to say If your into Elite this game will Rob of your life/freetime. If your interested in ED at all and want to know more detail feel free to ask me and of course there are millions of youtube vids around to get a good idea.

yaztromo

Re: Elite Dangerous First Impressions

Post by yaztromo »

Some of you might be wondering about the Multiplayer side, while you can switch between SOLO (offline)
So did they reverse course and include offline as an option now? The whole single player furore is what got me interested in ED in the first place. Wasn't even aware of the game until a post on slashdot last month.

Thank you for your thoughts, looks like a beefy system is needed to get the best from the graphics. I have a core2duo 3ghz with 4gb ram and Nvidia Gefore 8800GT so it would probably run okay at medium settings. Will make a purchase when the prices fall in a years or so time.
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

Your right Yaztromo their was a huge HooHa when they announced No OFFLINE mode. For many reasons ;
1. A lot of players don't want to be forced to play with Other players (for fear of Griefing etc)
2. Some just don't like the idea of having to be Online to play at all.

To clarify things as they stand ; Once you have Logged in through their Launcher you can choose to play
OPEN PLAY : With Other people online or SOLO : Without any other Players , Important to note your gameplay remains the same.
E.G if you know there are people actively Griefing new players you can switch to SOLO.
As an experienced MMO player I can see both sides of the argument, I like PVP so for me OPEN is the only way to go, but I can appreciate some people prefer to build
up their finances/equipment in SOLO mode before they risk significant loss in OPEN play, even though some players are complaining that it is in someway a bad option.
I guess in Frontiers defence its their way of preventing Software theft because lets face it most standalone PC titles are Pirated/hacked to death these days..
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

I think also for some they felt the essence of Elite had been lost when option of totally Offline was lost. There's a feeling, an atmosphere in the first two games of a lonely vastness. It's something a person living in the back of beyond with no Internet and nothing to do could get lost in for days at a time. I did like that about the old Elites (and Starglider II come to think of it), it was a kind of a cool "loneliness of space" feeling. Having knowledge that other people are intruding on that private emptiness, even if it's just to affect prices upset a lot of people. At least that's the gist I was getting from that huge thread.
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

I know what you mean.. I played Jumpgate for years and the vast majority of players there were all Elite nuts after a new fix, and for a few short years it was great fun until the usual MMO death when people started exploiting/greifing which brought the game population down to virtually zero in a very short time. I think Elite Dangerous gives the best of both worlds, if you wanna play all alone you can stick to SOLO mode and have a great time. By the same token playing online gives a heightened sense of danger and unpredictability. If you enjoyed Elite you will have a great time in ED. Its the same formula that got me hooked all those years ago. Dive in you wont be disappointed..
I`ve read a few recent reviews and I think the PC Gamer one has got it spot on >> http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous-review/
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Watched this youtube vid of it. Wow! Yep I'm stoked.
[video][/video]
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

Well godarn it what are you waitin for get in there Commander!!
as I said read PC Gamers review they`re pretty fair as to how its goin at the moment, I bought into early Beta and bought the Expansion pass so at least I wont have to
spend any more money on it, instead I shall save up for a Better Video Card so I can run it in 4k . hmm maybe get a 4k TV/Monitor as well then Oh crap I need some overtime.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Only wish I had the time to sink into these kind of games now. All my time feels like it is taking up with working, looking after the dog and finding time to shop/eat.

Bit of free gaming time at weekends is spent making a score for REMOVED/EAB or Zaps site. Never feel like I get time to get deep into a big game anymore. The older we get, the less time it seems we have to just play.
sm3

Post by sm3 »

I purchased TrackIR and an X52 Pro (HOTAS) for it. Sure has come a long way since 1984 ;) I can't wait for planetary landings and the ability to walk around your ship/space stations.

They did a really good job with the game.
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

Sadly I agree with you Yaz sure is hard to get the time to sink into games these days, I`m quite lucky I start work really early and am home by 3.30 and what with having a wife an 3 kids (2 left home now) and a Mountain Biking obsession as of last 2 years, it can be quite hard to get time to play games but I make sure I play something everyday. On the subject of Elite it really is a Time hogger, I`ve been playing a hell of a lot since release and I`m still in the stage of building enough resources to fit out a decent combat ship. from the startup Sidewinder I`ve gone thro Hauler >> Cobra >> Type 6 Transport and only now am I really making a decent amount of creds. I reckon another week of accumulating and I`ll be ready to start playing Proper.
@sm3 ... glad to see your enjoying ED, I bought the Thrustmaster HotasX stick for it and I`m very happy with it (Only £30).. You say you have the TrackIR is that similar to the Oculus Rift thingy. I`m definatly interested in that Sounds awesome.. if not a little vomit inducing :D. I cant wait for the expansions also I`m really curious how they go about introducing planetary landings etc etc.. P.S My ingame nick is "CMDR Thiyakin" look us up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic