D64 reader/writer with support for extended tracks

Games, Productivity Tools etc
fuzzybad

D64 reader/writer with support for extended tracks

Post by fuzzybad »

Hello, hope someone can help with this.

I'm looking for software for C64/128 to extract D64 images to actual disks, the catch is that this software needs to support extended tracks.

I typically use a program called XCHANGE V2 for this, which was published in Loadstar years ago. I've also tried several other tools, for example D64IT. However none of them seem to have support for tracks 36-40.

I've downloaded a few demos which use these extended tracks and need a way to transfer them to real disks. Any suggestions?

eslapion

Re: D64 reader/writer with support for extended tracks

Post by eslapion »

@fuzzybad
1st I didn't know of the existence of XCHANGE V2 and would really like to have access to it if you can get a link for this software

2nd AFAIK, the D64 format itself doesn't support higher tracks

What I know of this format is that it was created for non-protected disks but there is enough room to support sectors with errors that aren't too complex.

AFAIK, to get support for tracks 36 and above you need to use the g64 format.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Well this brought up an interesting read that I hadn't seen before. I thought the same thing, that a D64 was 35 tracks. However that is apparently not true and the D64 technically does support to track 40. Here is a very technical breakdown of the D64 format, in case you are curious:

http://unusedino.de/ec64/technical/formats/d64.html

As far as writing them to disk. You asked for software for c64/128 and I had heard that cbm command works. Search for CBMCMD.D64.

That is a slow method. For fast method you want a ZoomFloppy or Kryoflux/SuperCardPro. They can write D64s of any track layout in seconds, well at least SuperCard and Kryoflux can.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

@zippy zap
If the d64 format supports 40 tracks then I assume they can be mounted in a 1541 Ultimate 1/2, correct?

If that is so then all that's needed is a software like Fast Hack'em's nibbler to copy back to a real drive.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Hmm. Well, I don't have a 1541 ultimate. But in theory that is correct. The ultimate is supposed to be a true drive emulator so if it supports all the various d64 variances then you are right just a simple matter of using a nibbler that can do extended tracks.

The thing I remember about using 40 tracks is that Commodore made the format 35 tracks on purpose so that they could use cheaper mechanisms that couldn't always use 40 tracks reliably. But all the mechanisms could do 35 tracks so that is why we have a format with 35. This means that it is possible, again in theory, for there to be some 1541 drives that can't reliably support tracks past 35, thought that is probably rare since the mechanisms are 40 track drives.

Good idea!
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
fuzzybad

Post by fuzzybad »

eslapion wrote:1st I didn't know of the existence of XCHANGE V2 and would really like to have access to it if you can get a link for this software
Here's a Dropbox link to my copy; seeing how Loadstar is defunct I don't think they will mind.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddvtsp0njnyhr ... 2.prg?dl=0
eslapion wrote: 2nd AFAIK, the D64 format itself doesn't support higher tracks

What I know of this format is that it was created for non-protected disks but there is enough room to support sectors with errors that aren't too complex.

AFAIK, to get support for tracks 36 and above you need to use the g64 format.
My understanding of of these formats is that D64 is a simple track/sector copy of a 1541 disk, and doesn't support disk errors whatsoever. While most disks are only 35 tracks, it's perfectly valid for 1541 disks to have up to 40 tracks. For example, if you go onto CSDB and download the Krestology demo, these D64 files are 192KB (instead of the typical 170KB).

The G64 format I believe is a low-level copy of a disk at the GCR level, which will capture any error information and 'trick' formatting (fat tracks, etc)
fuzzybad

Post by fuzzybad »

Zippy Zapp wrote: You asked for software for c64/128 and I had heard that cbm command works. Search for CBMCMD.D64.

That is a slow method. For fast method you want a ZoomFloppy or Kryoflux/SuperCardPro. They can write D64s of any track layout in seconds, well at least SuperCard and Kryoflux can.
Thanks for the tip, I will try CBM-Command. Perhaps I will invest in a ZoomFloppy one of these days..
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

fuzzybad wrote:Here's a Dropbox link to my copy; seeing how Loadstar is defunct I don't think they will mind.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddvtsp0njnyhr ... 2.prg?dl=0
Hey thanks!

D/Loaded it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic