The Dungeon 1985 (Merry Christmas!)

Games, Productivity Tools etc
Baber64

The Dungeon 1985 (Merry Christmas!)

Post by Baber64 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:14 pm

The Dungeon 1985 (deluxe edition)

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o9pllddmz8uv97g/The%20Dungeon%201985.rar
I created this text adventure back in the eighties to teach myself the Zork Interactive Language. It's not a terribly original game, based on Zork I for the most part, but it shows how to code conceptually complex commands like "TAKE ALL" and "eat (what do you want to eat?)". It also features a multi-dimensional array and other coding tricks that I picked up. (The scrolling-cursor opening title credits was just a silly homage to the WOPR supercomputer from the movie Wargames.)

This year, I updated the game to include "achievements", where it keeps track if you found all five treasures when you quit the game or are killed off. ("You have found 1 of 5 treasures. Try again!"). I also cleaned up some of the diction in my error-checking responses. (This game was previously released on Leemon64 as "Dungeon 2017". I found a typo after I had put that version up, darn it! This is the corrected version.)

I was a bit suprised that I come back to coding Commodore BASIC some 25 years after the last time I look at a C64 program. Just like riding a horse...

This DELUXE EDITION upload includes my original hand-drawn maps for the text adventure, as well as tips and unique pages of my programming notes.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas! :idea:

Zippy Zapp

Re: The Dungeon 1985 (Merry Christmas!)

Post by Zippy Zapp » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Cool. Thanks for sharing I have downloaded them and hopefully I will have some time this week to get my transfers going so I can run them on my 64.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.

Baber64

Post by Baber64 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 am

No problem. Let me know how it goes. Typing "commands" tells you the verbs that work, but it's fairly straightforward if you've played text adventures.

Baber64

Post by Baber64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:30 pm

Strange, I thought I posted this in Software and not Chit Chat. This is software, I should know, I programmed it!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic