Any known bugs in the Super Snapshot V5?

General Chit Chat
Gyro Gearloose

Any known bugs in the Super Snapshot V5?

Post by Gyro Gearloose » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:30 pm

So I typed >£ at the BASIC prompt to enter the SSV5 extended BASIC. So far so good. Then I typed it again and the computer locked up.
Not so great.
Is it a known issue?

Also, the key combination C=/RUN STOP changed definition somehow to a nonfunctional command after 30 minutes of operation. Even after powering down the 64 the key combo didn't work anymore.

Like, WTF. This is with a NOS cartridge, not a copy.

But today the key combo works again. I'm wondering if maybe the status of the 1541 has something to do with that key combo. If it happens again I'll try powering cycling both the 64 and 1541.

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.

Gyro Gearloose

Re: Any known bugs in the Super Snapshot V5?

Post by Gyro Gearloose » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Here's another weird one. After powering on the 64 and escaping to BASIC with no boot, if I type the back arrow and press enter:

OK why the eff can't I add a picture???
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Gyro Gearloose wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:15 pm
Here's another weird one. After powering on the 64 and escaping to BASIC with no boot, if I type the back arrow and press enter:

You need to host the picture somewhere (like imgur) and then use the shortcuts [ i m g ] and [ \ i m g ] tags around the URL.

The last version of v5 was number v5.22 if I remember correctly, which fixed some PAL bugs. As I am not currently near my manual/setup I can't remember how to get the version number...

motrucker

Post by motrucker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 am

I used to use a V5.22, and never had those problems. Currently I only have a V4, so I can't help a lot, but IIRC "@TV" will give you the ROM version in your cartridge.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am

I owned a Super Snapshot V5.22 between 2007 and 2011 and got rid of it.

It had a bug which scared the bejeezus of me. When copying files to/from a 1581, sometimes the SSV5 software would lock up in the middle of the job and the r/w head of the 1581 would suddenly start hammering at a very fast rate, just like the good ole knocking of a 1541 when formatting except it didn't stop until you turned it off.

The real cart comes in 2 different flavors, with 8kB of RAM or 32kB of RAM. Apparently, the above mentioned bug only occurs when using the built-in 32k RAM.

The 1541 Ultimate series of carts include emulation of the SSV5 and has ROM V5.22 as well as REU emulation so you can use the combination to copy large files or large numbers of files between 1541/1571/1581. Support for the 32k option is therefore irrelevant.
Gyro Gearloose wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:15 pm
Click on 'Full Editor & Preview' then click on the tab 'attachments' at the bottom of the page.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

Urban Space Cowboy

Post by Urban Space Cowboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 am

I can vouch for the extended BASIC being very buggy and crash-prone; the slightest syntax error can cause a freeze, even on the last known V5.22, and I DO NOT recommend using it. Sorry!

Also while it's correct that @TV will print a version identifier, there are two different PAL revisions that both identify themselves as "ROM V5.22 PAL", and the simplest way I know to differentiate them is with SnapTerm's startup message (press the freezer button then select "6. SNAPTERM"):
V5.22 PAL revision 1: "SnapTerm -- (C) 1990 LMS Tech"
V5.22 PAL revision 2: "SnapTerm -- (C) 1990 LMS" (no "Tech")

Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Reviving my Commodore hardware suddenly seems like more of a hassle than anything. Nothing works.

Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:11 pm

Do you mean PAL like the video standard or programmable logic?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic