Denial forum:An open letter to the administrators of Amibay

General Chit Chat
eslapion

Denial forum:An open letter to the administrators of Amibay

Post by eslapion »

The following was sent to moderators on Amibay

Subject: MCes and illegal substances

I would like to bring your attention to yet another problem with MCes. I know doing this publicly causes trouble on the forum and is socially not the wisest thing to do.

MCes has announced he intends to sell a 'smart' VIC-20 37k expansion and posted a photo of this product on the Denial forum only a few days ago. The photo caught my attention because on it is a Hitachi 128k x 8 static RAM IC dated 0822. Since 2022 is still in the future, I take it this date code means 22nd week of 2008. Hitachi wasn't making this type of static RAM chip in 2008 sothere is only one alternative explanation left. The thread about his product is here: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/...php?f=3&t=9802

Since the 1990s, China has been accepting billions of tons of electronic trash as well as buying any surplus electronic ICs they can lay their hands on. They've been stripping every digital electronic devices and computers of their core chips and reselling them however they can and eBay is one of the largest outlets. Then came RoHS regulations which essentially turned any and all ICs containing lead or cadmium totally worthless. This was in fact a bonanza for China as they developed methods for stripping ICs of the markings on them and apply new ones.

Here is an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-IC-MOS...2/274362506170
This MOS 6522 is dated 0202 but there is absolutely no way MOS made a 6522 in the 2nd week of 2002 as the company didn't exist anymore. It died along with Commodore in 1994.

The static RAM chip used on MCes's expander is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-IC-HM6...Y/123369246562
Now 5 chips for 3.74$US is an incredibly good deal and much less than the price charged by official distributors for an equivalent product which is RoHS compliant. Since RoHS regulations were enacted in 2004-2005, you'd be tempted to think a chip made in 2008 will be compliant. That's until you realize Hitachi weren't making this type of chip then and this can be confirmed on Hitachi's web site or by contacting their offices in America or Europe. This is in fact a Chinese fake - what they do is take all the various brands of a certain type of chips and rebrand them with a popular type and a date code which makes people believe they are RoHS compliant when they are not.

A Chinese company - with the blessing of the communist government - must have gathered thousands of different brands of 128k x8 static RAM chips made prior to 2004 (so they are worthless and cost pennies to acquire) then rebranded them all with a Hitachi logo and product code since Hitachi is a well known maker of good ICs as well as a date code indicating they are RoHS compliant. The thing is, Hitachi stopped making SRAM before RoHS came into effect.

This means MCes has used a chip which contains toxic substances and he knows about it because I left a post on Denial about this and it was deleted.

My reaction was to inform the head of Denial and tell him if it's going to be like that on his forum then there is no room for me there anymore. I won't stay silent about this.

You've said in the past respecting the law is important to you ... so I inform you that some of the products MCes sell are illegal for sale in Europe and other countries because they do not conform to RoHS regulations and he knows it perfectly well. Please act on this information.

The pin headers containing cadmium, well, that's not something you can see but the impossible codes on a chip, that's obvious.

In the hope you will take the necessary actions - moderation should not just be about people being polite and undisturbing as is presently the case on Denial.

Best regards,
Francois Leveille

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Re: Denial forum:An open letter to the administrators of Amibay

Post by eslapion »

As for the constant bickering on there and the twisted notion of 'hard moderating' now put in place on that forum...
20200625_150411.jpg
I have considerably much better things to do...
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
eslapion

Re: Denial forum:An open letter to the administrators of Amibay

Post by eslapion »

Good video about fake Chinese chips.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic