Mythbusters' last season! I'll miss them!

General Chit Chat
eslapion

Mythbusters' last season! I'll miss them!

Post by eslapion » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:30 am

I don't know about you guys but I have been an avid follower of the Mythbusters ever since it appeared on the Discovery channel.

I even got the luxury of asking them to check one of my favorite myths from the movie "Real Genius" (1985 with Val Kilmer).
http://www.tor.com/2015/05/21/30-years- ... -deserves/
http://www.people.com/article/real-geni ... mer-trivia

I have learned thanks to the valiant efforts of the people at M5 industries (I thought M5 stood for "media 5" but its really a variant inspired by the MI-6) that it is unfortunately NOT possible to overpressure a house using only popcorn cooked by a giant laser fired from a B1 bomber.

I will sorely miss them but I suspect they've decided they have now amassed enough money and got enough fame to live a happy retirement.

Heck they even got as far as meeting president Obama in 2010!!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-o ... -the-test/

Happy retirement guys!

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

merman

Re: Mythbusters' last season! I'll miss them!

Post by merman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:16 pm

I've enjoyed a lot of Mythbusters over the years. But best to stop rather than run the format into the ground.

motrucker

Post by motrucker » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 am

merman wrote:I've enjoyed a lot of Mythbusters over the years. But best to stop rather than run the format into the ground.
This is quite true, but I will miss this show. I don't watch many TV shows. I mostly watch movies, but this one has come to be an old friend.
They have also killed "What's in the Barn", which I enjoyed too. This last one was not on the Discovery network, but rather was on Velocity.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user

Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:31 am

Yep. Going to for sure miss them. They have done quite a few of their episodes right down the street from me and are frequently in my home town and surrounding area. It won't be the same without them around here. No more flying canon balls going through houses down the street. bummer. LOL
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:25 am

merman wrote:I've enjoyed a lot of Mythbusters over the years. But best to stop rather than run the format into the ground.
What I think they don't want to run into the ground is themselves.

They already lost Tory, Kari and Grant. I think they've amassed enough money for a comfortable retirement; I suspect this last season is just about making sure they never have to work again and have some extra for their kids.
Zippy Zapp wrote: They have done quite a few of their episodes right down the street from me and are frequently in my home town and surrounding area. It won't be the same without them around here. No more flying canon balls going through houses down the street.
:lol:

Yeah, I've heard of this last one. They did a public apology for that incident.

In season 9 they explain how and why they lost the lease on one of the extra building they rented. As you can easily guess, the noise, the smells and other chaotic incidents wore down the patience of surrounding business owners and employees.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

fuzzybad

Post by fuzzybad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm a big fan of Mythbusters, have watched them since the first episodes. I don't mind them 'going back to their roots' for this final season, although I did enjoy the segments with Tory, Kari and Grant.

This final season has been somewhat a mixed bag in my opinion; a few exciting episodes (imploding a tanker car, can you smother a bomb with wet concrete) and a few somewhat boring ones (food myths, lawn mower vs rocks, can a sheet of glass cut a person in half).

Here's hoping for a big finish to the series!

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Just watched the last one titled "failure is not an option" about a fishtank stopping a shotgun round, explosions cancelling one another and drift driving in dirt.

Quite nice!

There will be another one this evening.

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Just watched the "rocketmen" episode.

It's interesting that rocket motors using gummy bears are actually more powerful than those made of poo. You would usually associate fertilisers or fertilising compounds with explosions.

Having myself lauched many rockets during my 20s, this episode was really nice to watch.

yaztromo

Post by yaztromo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Just watched the imploding tanker episode. When that train finally went it was an awesome sight. Man the lengths they went to to get that tanker carriage to fold. Fantastic stuff.

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:47 am

yaztromo wrote:Just watched the imploding tanker episode. When that train finally went it was an awesome sight. Man the lengths they went to to get that tanker carriage to fold. Fantastic stuff.
Wait 'til you see the gummy bears powered rockets 8-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic