What the %$@# is up with links from certain other forums?

General Chit Chat
eightbitswide

What the %$@# is up with links from certain other forums?

Post by eightbitswide » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 am

So I thought I'd add a link from another forum that has generated some interest in the ESP8266/C64 stuff in the past back to the thread I'm posting in the hardware section here. It immediately turns the link into http://they_don't_like_links_..... WTF..

There is so little community left that the remaining community is fractured? I take it there is some bad blood between the Commodore forums?

Seems a shame.. Granted I like the air in these forums much better...

eslapion

Re: What the %$@# is up with links from certain other forums?

Post by eslapion » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Yes, there is some very bad blood between the Commodore forums. Tachyon has abridged it in one detonating post.

I am glad to say here on Melon64, there is no room for the "Old boys club" trying to intimidate people into their belief system.

There's a couple of people who came over here trying to impose their falsehoods and I was so glad to see half a dozen qualified engineers just bulldoze their myths and misconceptions down fairly quickly.

Anyone who thinks they'll be treated like rock stars when trolling here will be banned quickly.
This brings up the general underlying issue. There is an old guard, "old boys club" in the C= community that do not take lightly to anyone rocking their boat. They have set themselves up with a nice little cult that includes not only followers, but also a belief system. Anyone that tries to bring new ideas into the cult is immediately attacked and eventually ostracized. They also do not want any of the attention or "worship" that they get from this little cult to be shared with anyone else. So anyone that comes into the community and gets too much attention also soon finds themselves under attack and bewildered as to why.
It really pisses me off because it's a huge detriment to the community as a whole and it impedes progress in the community. New ideas and new was of looking at old problems are stomped out of existence before they can be reasonably and thoughtfully discussed.
You only have to look at any thread about PLA replacements, accelerators (turbo boards), Vic-II emulation/replacement etc. to see the obviousness of these issues. These and other topics have long since been debated and the "correct" paths of exploration decided on. Anything outside those paths is heresy and treated accordingly. Eslapion's treatment in PLA discussions is a prime example.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 pm

This old chestnut again ;)

@eightbitswide

In the past there is what I considered to be excessive linking to other forums. The rules were updated to reflect this. I've banned repeat offenders. The linking was redundant as I'm sure 99% of the small membership here are already members of the other forums and I viewed this excessive linking as an attempt to railroad users elsewhere.

I'm of the opinion that if a thread is discussed here, then that's where the discussion should take place, not on another forum.
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiNT ENOUGH! )Oo.

Oge_user

Post by Oge_user » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:57 pm

This brings up the general underlying issue. There is an old guard, "old boys club" in the C= community that do not take lightly to anyone rocking their boat. They have set themselves up with a nice little cult that includes not only followers, but also a belief system. Anyone that tries to bring new ideas into the cult is immediately attacked and eventually ostracized. They also do not want any of the attention or "worship" that they get from this little cult to be shared with anyone else. So anyone that comes into the community and gets too much attention also soon finds themselves under attack and bewildered as to why.
It really pisses me off because it's a huge detriment to the community as a whole and it impedes progress in the community. New ideas and new was of looking at old problems are stomped out of existence before they can be reasonably and thoughtfully discussed.
I completely agree to that. Since I've been through it too. With the scene becoming smaller from year to year, these bad attitudes strongly go against the spirit of keeping the same scene alive.

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:55 pm

@Oge_user
It's a sad fact there are people who interact with the Commodore community for admiration first and have come to expect some sort of prestige.

The consequence is those who are here because they want to share, learn and have fun, get good at it and get recognition for it will be the target of trolls/bullies because they unwittingly become a threat to a few "rock stars".

We all know which forum is the focal point of this little cult. On any decent forum, people posting technical falsehoods will immediately by brought back to reality by competent people - it happened here with Jim Drew - but on said forum, the worshiped can post any rearrangement of reality as they see fit. Dare question what they say and you're in for big trouble.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

eightbitswide

Post by eightbitswide » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:59 pm

This is the very issue that is preventing me from sitting down and creating a published work for those who want to get back into the Commodore hobby and don't know where to start. I'm not interested in becoming a target. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind constructive criticisms. I want to make sure the information I publish is accurate, but I've never been one of the "good old boys." Simply a 'Scener' who has been playing with this stuff off and on for the last 30 years.

eslapion

Post by eslapion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:29 pm

eightbitswide wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:59 pm
This is the very issue that is preventing me from sitting down and creating a published work for those who want to get back into the Commodore hobby and don't know where to start. I'm not interested in becoming a target. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind constructive criticisms. I want to make sure the information I publish is accurate, but I've never been one of the "good old boys." Simply a 'Scener' who has been playing with this stuff off and on for the last 30 years.
There are really only 2 places where I see this bullying happening and these are Amiga.org and ... the removed place...

Here, Amibay and Denial are all pretty safe.

motrucker

Post by motrucker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 am

[quote=eslapion post_id=7864 time=1486844970 user_id=346
There are really only 2 places where I see this bullying happening and these are Amiga.org and ... the removed place...

Here, Amibay and Denial are all pretty safe.
[/quote]

I don't see much poor behavior at Amiga.org any more, but that might be due to many people leaving. The Amiga community has been more fractured more than the 8 bit for quite some time. Amibay may have shown them a light - who knows.
I would sure like to see the 8 bit people get along better. Some of the behavior is so childish I can hardly believe it. It really has to change.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 am

I've noticed I can't even write the name of the fruit "REMOVED" here, so you can add this forum to the "bully list" as well :)

merman

Post by merman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 pm

It all seems pointless... After all, this forum was set up as an alternative when "the other forum" was down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic