A hello from Croatia

General Chit Chat
Stealth

A hello from Croatia

Post by Stealth » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Hey, everyone, I'm the new kid on the block. :mrgreen:

My dad used to own a C64 Aldi back in the late 1980s, when Croatia was part of something bigger. Used to have a Datasette, a 1541-II, a Seikosha 7-dot matrix printer and god knows how many joysticks... and foolishly sold all that somewhere in 1996 or 1997 to fund a Pentium 166 MMX. :roll:

So here I am, 20 years later, trying to buy my way back into the C= world. So far I've managed to buy a breadbox, a flatbox, a 1541-II and another datasette, I'm lacking all the cables and power bricks but I reckon I can get or DIY most of that. The 64s themselves may or may not be alive - the breadbox almost definitely has a blown PLA, the 64C also gives a black screen but I didn't diagnose it in detail.

My master plan?
  • Get the breadbox running at all costs, possibly swap it for an Aldi so I can tame my nostalgia
  • Get the 1541-II working (found 100+ DS/DD floppies that may still be good)
  • Get the flatbox running and mod the life out of it (paintjob, SD2IEC, MixSID, MSSIAH and AlphA-like mods) to make a synth out of it
  • Hopefully at one point get a C128 and 1571/1581 just because I always wanted them
  • Retr0bright or peroxide the lot of it as necessary
I've also managed to find a fellow C= enthusiast who has two working ones, a broken one and a shell (case + keys) and wants to get the ball rolling too.

I've got big plans and god knows how many of those I'll accomplish. :mrgreen:

So, thanks for having me here. :) Time for me to go digging through old threads and thinking of new questions.

eslapion

Re: A hello from Croatia

Post by eslapion » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Stealth,
I can help you with the faulty PLA as I've been selling PLAnkton for the last 18 months.

I suggest you take a look at the 1541 Ultimate series of products. They include a secondary SID emulation, a 1541 drive emulation as well as cartridge emulation.

See: http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

Bring on the questions and have lots of fun!
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 pm

The PLAnkton thread is exactly how I found the Melon, actually. I've already fired off an email to e5frog to get a quota for a few of them.

As for the 1541U, I'll keep them in mind, the true 1541 emulation is definitely a big plus. The thing is, in Europe, over eBay and other nation-wide classifieds, the prices are rather high. I've seen Aldi 64s go for no less than 120 €, with barely a PSU to the package, and the FDDs aren't all that cheap either. So if I'm to get as many Commodores up and running as possible, pricy cartridges (despite them being high-quality ones) might have to wait a while.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Welcome, always interesting to hear where C64 fans are from.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic