wanted C64

Looking for that illusive game?
Garyed055

wanted C64

Post by Garyed055 »

Hey all

I'm an original C64 user from the early 80's, loved the machine but stupidly didn't learn to program on it. I just played games. I want to correct that but being on a fixed income I can't afford the prices I see for a C64. Would anyone on the forum be willing to donate a machine working or not (may be able to fix)I'll pay shipping

thank you

Gary

TMR

Re: wanted C64

Post by TMR »

Garyed055 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm I'm an original C64 user from the early 80's, loved the machine but stupidly didn't learn to program on it. I just played games. I want to correct that but being on a fixed income I can't afford the prices I see for a C64.
You could always emulate to get started and wait for a cheap C64 to turn up...? People sometimes seem to get a little "romantic" about the idea of coding on a real machine but, for a beginner at least, there's no real difference between that and using VICE.
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon »

As @TMR has suggested, use an emulator to start, there's plenty of excellent emulators. You'll also benefit from not spending any money if coding isn't for you.
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Garyed055 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm I'm an original C64 user from the early 80's, loved the machine but stupidly didn't learn to program on it. I just played games. I want to correct that but being on a fixed income I can't afford the prices I see for a C64. Would anyone on the forum be willing to donate a machine working or not (may be able to fix)I'll pay shipping
Please tell us generally where you are located. This will help us know if you need a PAL or NTSC Commodore 64. It will also help get an approximate idea of the cost of shipping.

As Melon and TMR suggested, it's a good idea to try on an emulator first.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Garyed055

Post by Garyed055 »

hi

I'm in the state of Georgia USA. Thanks for the heads up on the emulators I'll check it out ASAP

Gary
TMR

Post by TMR »

Garyed055 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 pm I'm in the state of Georgia USA. Thanks for the heads up on the emulators I'll check it out ASAP
The best option is VICE - it defaults to PAL but you can set it to NTSC in the options if you feel the need - and there's also an excellent archive of downloadable books to get you going. Which book is best depends on a number of factors like which language you're looking at learning and what you're planning to code.
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
Garyed055

Post by Garyed055 »

Thanks again guys

Gary
Garyed055

Post by Garyed055 »

Found a C64 on another forum for the cost of shipping

thanks again

Gary
TMR

Post by TMR »

Garyed055 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm Found a C64 on another forum for the cost of shipping
Sorted, and now you can start learning to program. =-)
Garyed055

Post by Garyed055 »

TMR wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:37 pm
Garyed055 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm Found a C64 on another forum for the cost of shipping
Sorted, and now you can start learning to program. =-)
Sure can Downloading C64 books now

Gary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic