50 for 50.

SYS 64738
Shaun_B

50 for 50.

Post by Shaun_B »

On 1st May 2014, it was the 50th anniversary of BASIC (at least according to Time.com), so I did a little demo in BASIC V2 to mark the occasion which is archived on DropBox at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/795 ... oll-50.zip

The disk image currently contains three programs (and will be added to), all of which are 'timed' to run on a SuperCPU or something with more processor grunt than the stock 1Mhz machine (although the compiled version may be bearable).

The preview is a work-in-progress which should be finished shortly, with my plan being to release 50 basic programs in its 50th year. Although these won't all be for the C64 or even Commodore 8-bits, the listings for each will appear on my PasteBin account at http://pastebin.com/u/shaun_b

If people are interested, I'll post snippets here; for instance, I've found a way to negate the problem with string variables having a maximum length of 255 characters, so if you wanted a long scrolly or longer descriptions on your text adventure, then this should work.

Regards,

Shaun.

BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
satpro

Re: 50 for 50.

Post by satpro »

If people are interested, I'll post snippets here; for instance, I've found a way to negate the problem with string variables having a maximum length of 255 characters, so if you wanted a long scrolly or longer descriptions on your text adventure, then this should work.
Nice effort; the maze itself looks good and fits right. You bet we're interested in snippets! People may want to know how you managed the string length issue. Also, I like that you are thinking in terms of SCPU programming. With VICE we all have access to a SuperCPU.

Keep up the good work, and if I may say, pull out the ML books and expand your programming universe! At 1 MHZ BASIC can't do everything you might want it to -- but assembly language can for sure. The scrolling would be a snap!

Good job.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Thanks Bert. Indeed there doesn't seem to be much point in programming for the 'unexpanded' C64 or 128 simply because there are people who already do so, will do a better job, and will probably comment negatively about anything that I do; the C64 'scene' can be quite a hostile environment for a simple enthusiast like myself.

I will continue my endeavours anyway (as well as continue my 65816 and Z80 experiments when I get the time) :-)

Regards,

Shaun.
BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
satpro

Post by satpro »

You're welcome. I just finished an email exchange with Arthur Jordison (CBM prg Studio's author) and I was lamenting something similar to what you speak of. As you may know, I am writing a new OS for the C64, but for over two years it has been strictly a SuperCPU project. When this website opened up I figured I could spark a little energy by documenting the 6502 version here and get to the 65816 later, but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for an 8-bit version anyway. So, I think the better thing to do will be to return to the '816 version, which is so much more powerful, and not worry about the naysayers, who largely bitch about anything SuperCPU. I happen to think the SCPU is awesome, actually, and really should see that version through first.

Yeah, keep chugging along with the SuperCPU. 8-bits is kid's play next to 16-bit programming. I have all the reference you will ever need (or find publicly) for the SuperCPU and the 65816 cpu in general -- it's yours for the asking.
satpro

Post by satpro »

Aw, no way! It just dawned on me who you are! The 50/50, Shaun_B, calling me Bert, "Regards" -- ugh! You might want to take that rep point back on the grounds that I am incompetent. Better yet, I hereby bestow one on you! :D :D We share a Dropbox together, for Pete's sake. I imagine you should be able to find your own way to our reference section, Shaun BEE.

Man, do I feel dumb.

P.S. I really enjoyed that TIME article.
satpro

Post by satpro »

Also wanted to add: if you go deep down into the bowels of Dropbox, in the Winc64 folder there is a HELP folder with bunches of stuff. If you don't find what you need let me know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic