Hate doing taxes.

Non related nonsense and ramblings
Syrax

Hate doing taxes.

Post by Syrax »

In Canada, income tax time is here again. I hate doing them. I prepare both my wife and mine. Always leave to the last moment. (End of the month). One would think in this age of computational wizardry, that personal filings would be unnecessary.
Vent post.
Did I mention, I hate doing taxes.

nonex

Re: Hate doing taxes.

Post by nonex »

Yeah taxes suck. Here in the US our deadline was last week. Using a software program makes the process somewhat bearable. Getting the years paperwork in order is the part I hate. Overseas, I hear some countries have it all figured out. Do nothing, and its autofile, others have a simple one page form they send you, and you either send it back or make changes and return. I wish.
joshuadenmark

Post by joshuadenmark »

Yup, here in Denmark all are sorted out by SKAT not much to do for us.
And if you try to be"creative" you get caught and called in to a meeting at SKAT called "torskegilde" :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iced_nine

Post by iced_nine »

My government wants more money from me... typical! :oops:
Commodore 64/Amiga 500 Enthusiast
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Sounds like someone needs to write an advanced Tax Calculator Simulator for the C64 or 128... ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.
BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
satpro

Post by satpro »

Everything nonex said rings true for me, too. Here in the US I'm somewhat of an oddity because I have always done my own taxes, even through all the business years. Before the computer came along tax season was an "event" where I would go down to the store, get the big tax book, read it, and go to tackling that year's taxes in silence. Two days later I would emerge all caffeined-out, exhausted -- yet victorious! It was over. Once TurboTax came out the event settled down to something more like "the movie of the week." It became much easier and faster, we saved a few pencils' lives, and were able to take advantage of even more deductions in order to keep taxes low. But -- we always did our own taxes.

The funny thing is that back then (pencil/paper days) the Commodore (originally the Pet!) was actually a part of the mix for me. I would write snippets of BASIC code (and eventually BCD assembly language math) that followed the calculations in the tax form so as to insure accuracy throughout the many forms.

I have considered writing dedicated tax software for the C64 many times over the years. The actual tax forms would probably not be able to be reproduced exactly, meaning you would still need to fill in the blanks using some other method (like using a pen), but the calculations themselves are fairly straight-forward. The software could carry through to later years with only minor changes each following year. From what I understand you guys over there don't have it so bad. Our tax code is like it is because tax laws are written by corporations here. Big companies like GE are able to make billions and not pay anything, while the guy barely scraping along keeps the tax ship afloat with his hard-earned dollars. It's a messed-up system for sure, but it is THE system, so we either learn it or have someone do it for us.

Maybe...
iced_nine

Post by iced_nine »

Well, if you can write a legit program that will always give me a refund, I'll buy it! :mrgreen:
Commodore 64/Amiga 500 Enthusiast
merman

Post by merman »

I'm sure CMD advertised a couple of tax programs back in the day. Of course, the trick would be keeping the software up to date with changes in regulation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic