Commodore 128-only release.

Discussions for CBM PET, VIC-20, SX64, C16/+4 and Commodore 128 systems
Shaun_B

Commodore 128-only release.

Post by Shaun_B »

A friend of mine is wondering whether or not a C128-only game is worth the effort. Register your interest here.

Regards,

Shaun.

BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
satpro

Re: Commodore 128-only release.

Post by satpro »

My feeling is that if VICE had a SuperCPU emulation I would switch to the C-128 immediately and not look back.

That makes my answer --> YES
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

If it will work with a SD2IEC or a regular 1541 drive, I'd LOVE to try a 128 game on my hardware. :)
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Okay as there has been some interest, work has begun (but like everything Commodore, it is prone to real-life situations eating away at this hobby project).

The aim is for it to use the 16KVDC display for some sort of entertainment software.

I should add: keep the encouragement going, all developers like encouragement, ie, share this thread with your C128 friends :-)

Regards,

Shaun.
BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
TMR

Post by TMR »

Okay, this thread was started based on some of my vague burblings on IRC so i'd probably best stick my oar in... =-)

At the moment i've been mucking about with VDC routines and just have a character-per-frame scroll engine running and that uses a... worrying amount of CPU grind to get new columns of data in so right now i'm not really sure if an actual, playable game is going to be viable. i'll try to find a bit of time next week to see what happens...
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

TMR- would your game be PAL-only or both PAL/NTSC compatible?
TMR

Post by TMR »

metalfoot wrote:TMR- would your game be PAL-only or both PAL/NTSC compatible?
i'm not entirely sure at the moment; the VDC isn't synced to the VIC-IIe so i think it's roughly the same amount of CPU time available for either. If VICE tells me that my tests work once i get something more complicated than the scrolling going i'll probably post a copy online and ask people to test on assorted hardware.

PAL/NTSC would be far more of an issue for VIC-IIe code; if i try to make something C128-specific it pretty much needs to take advantage of 2MHz in the upper/lower borders (otherwise someone'll fix it for C64) and NTSC having a lot less off screen time means less time in fast mode and possibly something that'll run on stock PAL.
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

TMR wrote:
metalfoot wrote:TMR- would your game be PAL-only or both PAL/NTSC compatible?
i'm not entirely sure at the moment; the VDC isn't synced to the VIC-IIe so i think it's roughly the same amount of CPU time available for either. If VICE tells me that my tests work once i get something more complicated than the scrolling going i'll probably post a copy online and ask people to test on assorted hardware.

PAL/NTSC would be far more of an issue for VIC-IIe code; if i try to make something C128-specific it pretty much needs to take advantage of 2MHz in the upper/lower borders (otherwise someone'll fix it for C64) and NTSC having a lot less off screen time means less time in fast mode and possibly something that'll run on stock PAL.
If it were NTSC, I may well be interested. I have more interest in the hardware, but obviously I need software too. There are so few real 128 mode games out there, this sounds like a good idea to me. Are you planning on using assm to program the game? But, yes I am interesed.
C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

I realize this thread was started over a year ago, but yes a 128 game or anything 128 only would be great as beyond utilities the 128 was way under utilized especially in the game department.
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic