A New old thing for the 128

Discussions for CBM PET, VIC-20, SX64, C16/+4 and Commodore 128 systems
Wsoft
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

A New old thing for the 128

Post by Wsoft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am

Hello.
My name is Sid and I have written a fairly decent program. I'd like to share it (the guy at Commodore Software is reviewing it as we speak). I was wondering where else I can upload it?

It concerns a program for the 128 that I began back in 1992, it's called WS DOS. I posted it into the Compuserve CBMAPP and the Genie downloads sections but Compuserve deleted all it's CBM archives. Someone saved all of the Genie stuff though, and a copy of an older version of the program was at the top of the download list (probably cuz was the last one uploaded). The link to that is here:

http://cbmfiles.com/genie/C128ToolkitListing.php

The work has continued on the software since then and it's now at V7.1. It provides a bootstrap for RAMDOS these days and does a lot of other stuff. I hope it will be posted over at Commodoresoftware.com soon, but I thought I'd ask about where else might be the best place for review and release. It's been so long since I released this and my brain isn't what it once was. I'm starting to forget stuff and I thought I'd better release the new version soon for posterity you know.



User avatar
eslapion
Member
Member
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Canada

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by eslapion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 am

Wsoft wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am
Hello.
My name is Sid and I have written a fairly decent program. I'd like to share it (the guy at Commodore Software is reviewing it as we speak). I was wondering where else I can upload it?

It concerns a program for the 128 that I began back in 1992, it's called WS DOS. I posted it into the Compuserve CBMAPP and the Genie downloads sections but Compuserve deleted all it's CBM archives. Someone saved all of the Genie stuff though, and a copy of an older version of the program was at the top of the download list (probably cuz was the last one uploaded). The link to that is here:

http://cbmfiles.com/genie/C128ToolkitListing.php

The work has continued on the software since then and it's now at V7.1. It provides a bootstrap for RAMDOS these days and does a lot of other stuff. I hope it will be posted over at Commodoresoftware.com soon, but I thought I'd ask about where else might be the best place for review and release. It's been so long since I released this and my brain isn't what it once was. I'm starting to forget stuff and I thought I'd better release the new version soon for posterity you know.
Hi Sid,
I suggest you post about WS DOS here: http://c-128.freeforums.net/
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

Wsoft
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by Wsoft » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks. I'm there now, kinda looks like this forum, doesn't it.

User avatar
eslapion
Member
Member
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Canada

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by eslapion » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:50 am

Wsoft wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 pm
Thanks. I'm there now, kinda looks like this forum, doesn't it.
I see you posted a lot of information about your software. Good thing!
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

eightbitswide
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by eightbitswide » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:54 pm

You might also post it to http://www.reddit.com/r/c128

Wsoft
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by Wsoft » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 am

I didn't even know how to upload lol

I'd like to see this junk put up somewhere like funet.fi I hear that's a zimmers domain or something now

Wsoft
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by Wsoft » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:39 pm

eightbitswide wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:54 pm
You might also post it to http://www.reddit.com/r/c128
I checked out that website. A lot of overhead. Before releasing there I have to learn what reddit is, how it works... didn't see anywhere to upload and in general it went ZIP right over. I'll just leave it where it is over at the c128 place. That post over there already had like 70 views but someone cleared it back down to one- hmnn

User avatar
eslapion
Member
Member
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Canada

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by eslapion » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 am

Wsoft wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 am
I didn't even know how to upload lol

I'd like to see this junk put up somewhere like funet.fi I hear that's a zimmers domain or something now
Funet has been transferred here: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/index.html

Contact at the end of this page: http://zimmers.net/commie/index.html
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders

Wsoft
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by Wsoft » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Hey Eslapion I shot off an email to a Bo Zimmerman. I think he wants to check it out, thanks :)

Wsoft
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

Re: A New old thing for the 128

Post by Wsoft » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:25 pm

WsDos made it to Funet Fi by the way. It's under OS for Operating Systems, listed as a DOS shell fastloader. An OS takes control of a computer from the
very first millesecond that it's turned on (or it did then). I always just thought of it as a "resident program", but I *am* flattered. I'll take it; I worked on it long enough.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic