Amiga 500 ACA500

Discussions for the Commodore Amiga
sm3

Re: Amiga 500 ACA500

Post by sm3 »

Hopefully you have a Rev 6A, but they seem to be somewhat rare here in the US. Mostly what you see on eBay for instance appears to be Rev 5.

There is a 500 on eBay right now that could be a Rev 6A. It's 1.3 Kickstart and it has a green power light. Seller is asking for $300 though, so not exactly a bargain.

iced_nine

Post by iced_nine »

They don't seem to work with NTSC Rev 5 boards either... been speaking with 2 different people who have had no luck... using a Rev 6A or above works or if it's a PAL board, there aren't any issues... starnge... I have even contacted its creator Jens to see if this issue can be resolved before I purchase one at the end of the year...
Commodore 64/Amiga 500 Enthusiast
sm3

Post by sm3 »

If anyone in the US wants to get a Rev 6A board, they are plentiful on eBay if you expand the search results to include "Worldwide". There are always some for sale in the UK or Germany. I picked up 4 of them recently, but shipping and exchange rates are not in our favor of course ;)

I think there is some jumper or other way to change a 6A PAL board to NTSC and vice versa, haven't really looked into it yet. I mainly wanted to get some spare parts.

Hopefully you can get a fix from Jens on it. They do list it as working with Rev 5 boards.
Syrax

Post by Syrax »

There is some discussion that the board will work with Pal rev. 5 boards, but not rev 5. ntsc boards. There is some info here:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread. ... 689&page=2
sm3

Post by sm3 »

Ah, OK, thanks!
sm3

Post by sm3 »

As a follow-up to my post about changing a Rev 6A board from PAL to NTSC, I believe all you need to do is remove jumper JP4. I have not tried it yet though, so I can't say for sure if it indeed works.
iced_nine

Post by iced_nine »

Well, there are still a lot of Rev 5 NTSC boards out there and I think the issue needs to be addressed... people shouldn't have to replace their boards in order to use this item... just my thoughts...
Commodore 64/Amiga 500 Enthusiast
mda7

Post by mda7 »

Hello,

I have an ACA500, running on an NTSC A500 ,revision 6A motherboard, and an A501 memory expansion. The only issue I'm seeing is when booting with workbench 3.1 from the CF card, and running a WHDload game such as SuperCars 2, then when the intro music and screens is playing, and the CF card is accessed, then the audio cuts, and the video goes black just for the duration of the read/write on the Flash disk. Then the game continues. The same behavior was observed with other DHDLoad games or demos loaded from the CF card.

Thank you.

Quick update...
I've tried loading SuperCars 2, using Whdload on WinUAE, and the same issue with the audio cuts, and video going black happened. So, it's not an issue with the ACA500.

Thank you.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

That sounds like a similar issue I had on my A1200 with WHDload. Black screen and cut audio when accessing CF card. I found it was down to lack of RAM, preventing WHDload from preloading the entire game into memory before it is started.
sm3

Post by sm3 »

Have never tried WHDload myself. It would be interesting to know if getting an ACA12xx (with the 128 MB) would resolve the issue and allow better use of WHDload. They are a bit pricey though. If you live in the US we are talking about $240.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic