Amiga 500 ACA500

Discussions for the Commodore Amiga
sm3

Re: Amiga 500 ACA500

Post by sm3 »

I finally figured out how to partition a CF card (I used WinUAE and wb2.0.5 install disk) and install Workbench 1.3 on it. Now my ACA500 boots quickly into wb1.3 without the need for a floppy!

This was a big step for me, as I really don't like wb3.1 but I'm still stuck using 3.1 to burn real ADFs for now.

With the ACA500 and wb1.3 on the CF card, the Amiga 500 boots up rather quickly now. It's really nice.

sm3

Post by sm3 »

I forgot to mention I made 2 partitions (dh0/dh1), each about 1.9 GB from a 4 GB Kingston CF card (one with the flower on it). Didn't have any issues with that size in the ACA500.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

sm3 wrote:I forgot to mention I made 2 partitions (dh0/dh1), each about 1.9 GB from a 4 GB Kingston CF card (one with the flower on it). Didn't have any issues with that size in the ACA500.
Ditto even though I am running 3.1 I kept my partitions below 2G each also using a Kingston 4G CF card. Not sure what file system you went for? I just stuck with FFS because I couldn't be bothered trying to work out how to use anything else. Still FFS seems stable, never had a problem.
sm3

Post by sm3 »

Yeah, FFS for me as well. It's been slow for me to figure this stuff out. Certain information for the Amiga isn't as plentiful as on other platforms like the C64 or Atari 800.
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Oh if you have a bit of Linux knowledge you can make a backup image of your CF card using the dd program. (You can also get it for windows I think)

dd if=/dev/sdc(or whatever letter your card is) of=/home/<username>/amiga-backup.dd bs=1M

Will give you an exact backup image should anything go wrong you can reverse those 'if' and 'of' options and get a working copy again. Saved my bacon once when I turned the Amiga off during a write operation.

There are also some other methods for Windows here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67293
sm3 wrote:Yeah, FFS for me as well. It's been slow for me to figure this stuff out. Certain information for the Amiga isn't as plentiful as on other platforms like the C64 or Atari 800.
Yeah I agree. C64 is much simpler and better documented. Partitioning and installing WB on CF card feels like more luck than skill at times!
sm3

Post by sm3 »

yaztromo wrote:Oh if you have a bit of Linux knowledge you can make a backup image of your CF card using the dd program. (You can also get it for windows I think)

dd if=/dev/sdc(or whatever letter your card is) of=/home/<username>/amiga-backup.dd bs=1M

Will give you an exact backup image should anything go wrong you can reverse those 'if' and 'of' options and get a working copy again. Saved my bacon once when I turned the Amiga off during a write operation.
Cool thanks! Didn't know this was possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic