PROMAL 3.1

C, Cobol, Durex, Fortran, Pascal, etc, etc
Heart

PROMAL 3.1

Post by Heart » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Continuing with my experiment to port PROMAL to the SuperCPU is this version which I have tentatively called PROMAL 3.1. This is different than 3.0 in that, while 3.0 supported 65C02 opcodes (to accomodate the TurboMaster), this version is not backwards compatible with the 65C02, but instead supports 65816 addressing modes, opcodes, and 16-bit registers. Being an experiment, anyone interested should look at this as beta-ware and likely to contain an occasional bug. However, if you try the examples on disk, I think you will find that it is nevertheless fairly stable.

I should also warn that I have NOT tried to follow PROMAL 1.0 faithfully. One might really call this a fork of that version, although, the syntax between versions 1.0 and 3.1 are almost identical. The biggest differences are in the environment itself, notably to make more memory available for PROMAL programs, and obviously to make everything run faster. Other major differences include removing what I considered outdated functions and procedures, updating others, and adding new ones.

To try out this version, you need a SuperCPU64 or SuperCPU128 (in 64 mode). You also need RAM expansion. I realize not every SuperCPU has SuperRAM, so PROMAL 3.1 will happily accomodate GeoRAM or an REU too. So load up the first program, called PROMAL, and RUN it. PROMAL will take some time to load a bunch of stuff into RAM expansion, but eventually should (if everything goes right) drop to a prompt.

At this point, hit F3 and then type card followed by a RETURN. This will load up the editor and the source code to card.s. You can examine the code with F1 and F2 to page down and up, or the cursor keys. After you're bored with that press SHIFT-STOP, which is the RUN key. PROMAL will save the code to RAM expansion, call the compiler, compile the code, and start the program.

Again, if everything worked correctly, you should find yourself playing "backbone" solitaire, which requires a mouse in port 1. The mouse driver is my own and also experimental. I can't guarantee it will work with every mouse, but I have tried it with four different mice and at least two C128 computers, so I'm hopeful it will work with other mouse/computer combinations.

Not interested in backbone solitaire? Well, you could try some of the other programs on disk, such as ball. Exit the game by pressing stop. Exit the editor by pressing control-e and another e to really truly exit. Load up ball in a similar way to the card game. That is, press F3, then type ball and finally the RETURN key. RUN the program by pressing the RUN key (shift-stop) as before. After a short compilation you should see a demonstration of opening the top and bottom VIC borders and some sprites travelling through the borders. Exit the program by pressing the stop key. You should be back in the editor.

There are other programs on disk to try, such as numnuts or traverse or graphdemo or grdemo or maze.

I won't go into detail about programming in PROMAL since...well...nobody seemed particularly interested in it before. :roll: But you never know. If anyone would like to know more about writing in PROMAL feel free to reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heart

Re: PROMAL 3.1

Post by Heart » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:10 am

Geez, I would forget the friggin' card font. My apologies. Any other issues, please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic