Retro Computer Scene Highscores Discussion Thread.

Site news and announcements
zap

Retro Computer Scene Highscores Discussion Thread.

Post by zap » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 pm

I've been thinking of doing a games competition to support the new Retro Computer Scene Highscores project recently released, looking for feedback on what this should look like. Maybe we can start with the competition rules to include only registered melon64 users to keep the regular internet rifraff out :)

Renamed thread The winner will recieve a Zoomfloppy. http://cbm8bit.com/highscores/ To be announced in another thread soon edit: 22/Sep/14
enjoy
Shane.
Last edited by zap on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search

CPULoyal

Re: Commodore 8bit Games Competition

Post by CPULoyal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 am

Are you meaning we suggest the rules for the highscores contest?

zap

Post by zap » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Absolutley!! :) I'm looking for some good ideas on how we should go about creating a competition, normally the guide lines are created without
input from the users! i on the other hand always ask for feedback and idea's before enbarking on another project often i get some good ones that
send me off i another direction :) other times i get none and go it alone :(

One thought is building some code that grabs each users high scores and randomly picks a winner then displays it on the site with no further input from me, the more entries "high scores uploaded" the more chances to win the zoom floppy when the competition ends, the winner would be the randomly picked users high score the instant the time of the competition has ended. I could build in a count down to the end of the competition and randomly display any high score entry in contention to win using the same code, so you can see how the winner will be picked when the competition ends.

We can also do a single game challenge where users upload thier highest score and link it here. Maybe we vote on a game and i do a seperate competition for another zoom floppy winner.

Shane.

CPULoyal

Post by CPULoyal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:49 pm

OK, here are some of the ideas that suggest:

1.- Define a pool of no more than 5 games available so the contestants have an equal playground.
2.- The selected games preferably shouldn't grant the player extra lifes as part of the game play.
3.- Have the official images ready for download at a central place, so no tampered images are used.
4.- Make the players submit their scores for each one of the selected games, so the winner is the one with the best overall score.
5.- The games can be played in any order and as many times as the player wants, to get the highest score he is able to.
6.- Each new highscore overrides any previous submitted by the same player.

That's for starters.

Regards

zap

Post by zap » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 am

Definatly will be most of those bullet points to the competition rules.
We can host the game images on the sites homepage for each competition. The site allows you to update your scores as often as you like, replacing your lower scores with your higher one. We can vote on the games to be in the competition also amount as five may be a few to many for the first competition less feedback says otherwise and write up the official rules for the competition shortly after giving some more time for other users to time in and show interest.

Were working on the gamers page listing all games uploaded and current highest scores for each gamer, including rankings for each user.

Shane.

MitchFrenzal

Post by MitchFrenzal » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't think you really need the images available for download, I generally use versions with a highscore saver that won't work if you have trainers on. which means 70% of the time, I could just end a "You never got that score" argument by posting my disk image with the highscore table intact, This does not work all the time though, So I will usually post a game over screen or a highscore entry screen, Which kind of proves that I at least died. :) Other than that, Keep up the good work. :)

zap

Post by zap » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:06 am

On the user page i could allow for disk image uploads with discription and link to game, building the user pages now will look into that.

Thanks.

dudz

Post by dudz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:04 am

I don't think you really need the images available for download, I generally use versions with a highscore saver that won't work if you have trainers on. which means 70% of the time, I could just end a "You never got that score" argument by posting my disk image with the highscore table intact, This does not work all the time though, So I will usually post a game over screen or a highscore entry screen, Which kind of proves that I at least died.
its relatively easy to alter both the hiscore table and the screen (and thus screenshots) though, so none of that proves anything.

zap

Post by zap » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:59 pm

We know cheating will be near imposisble to stamp out it will be a honor system, but we can impliment a few things to help make it a little more difficult to cheat.

How about we add real time logging to a online java emulator like jac64?
zap

MitchFrenzal

Post by MitchFrenzal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm quite the honourable player, I only post the scores in the hope of a bit of friendly competition, When things start getting too serious, It just sucks the fun out of it. Also, I get most of my scores at home, Where I haven't internet. Then bring the screenies somewhere to upload. So having an online emulator doesn't help me at all. :/The way I see it is, If you're in something like this to cheat, There's probably no point in having something like this at all. So yeah, Cheat away, And then no-one will bother posting anything. Then we'll have no competition at all. And no-one will be happy with that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic