Dragon Wars and the SuperCPU

Cracks. Demos. Sceners, Partys...
Heart

Dragon Wars and the SuperCPU

Post by Heart »

I modified Dragon Wars for myself to use on a SuperCPU and thought other SuperCPU users might like to try it as well.

You need a SuperCPU and either a RAMLink, FD-2000, or CMD-HD. Other storage devices will not work. If you are using an FD-2000 or CMD-HD, SuperRAM or GEORAM is supported and recommended.

The attached file is a 6400 block native partition. You need to be able to copy the file back to a CMD native partition, sector by sector. I don't know how you will do this, but the process is similar to copying a d81 image back to disk, but instead of 80 tracks of 40 sectors, it is 25 tracks of 256 sectors. I wrote my own program to read the sectors from a RAMLink partition to a file and then zipped the file.

What's different about running DragonWars on a SuperCPU? Well, for one thing, the monsters you run into in the game now display correctly. On a stock 64, the pictures were always glitchy. Also, the game plays faster and therefore, in my opinion, plays better. Another bonus, no disk swapping.
Attachments
dragon wars.dnp.zip
(500.51 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

Heart

Re: Dragon Wars and the SuperCPU

Post by Heart »

The above file got corrupted by my compressor. Don't use it.

Use the following instead.
dragon wars.dnp.zip
(500.33 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Any chance for a version for the Ultimate-64 ?

It can run at up to 48 MHz and has a REU up to 16 MBytes.

Sidenote: This is one mighty nice game !! Nice job!! :shock:
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Heart

Post by Heart »

30 years ago, I patched this game for my brother to use on the RAMDrive. Actually, at the time, I didn't really rate the game that highly because the graphics were glitchy. It seemed like kind of a cheap game when they couldn't even get the graphics right. :roll:

A month ago, I started playing around with Dragon Wars' graphics on the SuperCPU, and I was surprised when I saw the pictures displayed correctly for the first time. Dragon Wars is trying to multiplex 36 sprites over an outlined background for its monster pictures, plus, I think, as many as 4 more sprites for other things. Fourty sprites plus badlines is problematic to say the least, for a stock 64 to display.

So now my rating for this game has gone from a low score to a high score. But someone else will have to patch the game for the Ultimate-64 or Turbo Chameleon -- I'm burned out on patching it and I don't have that hardware anyway. I sold my 1750 years ago, so that's why I didn't add REU support -- that, and I'm lazy.
The_Other_Shaun_B

Post by The_Other_Shaun_B »

I'll try it on real hardware. Thanks. Actually, I'll need to work out how to write it back to my RAMLink... a BEP image for geoBeap would have been more useful, but there must be a way.

Regards,

Shaun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic