New C64 Programming Screencasts

Cracks. Demos. Sceners, Partys...
mehowte

New C64 Programming Screencasts

Post by mehowte »

I'm working on a new series of screencasts about Programming C64. But before I go live and keep making screencasts I want to check in and see if anyone is actually interested in a new paid screencast series.

Important thing for me is working out what do you guys want.

My initial idea is to do a mix of one-off technique episodes, and a few mini-series where I go from start to finish of building a whole game or a demo.

I'd like to get about 20 people in early as a kind of a "test group" to get feedback, and to get to know you. I want to get this done right. Within this early access group I'd like to figure out what each person is struggling with, deliver several initial screencasts, and do some one-on-one sessions in the beginning.

If you want to be in the early access group of 20, let me know via PM.

BTW This is me: http://pl.linkedin.com/in/mehowte/

mehowte

Re: New C64 Programming Screencasts

Post by mehowte »

Hey, sorry for being silent for so long. I've been working on episodes.

I'm really close to launch the project. It is going live in June. On the 64bites.com you can sign up for a newsletter.

Tomorrow I'm going to send a free episode, so you can see if its any good:)

After the launch, I plan to be blogging about C64 programming and releasing free episodes from time to time.

But first things first :)
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Great stuff mehowte. Looking forward to this.
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon »

Looking forward to these also :)
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
mehowte

Post by mehowte »

Thank you for kind words. I'm excited this is finally going live :)

The first free episode is available for everyone now - BASIC's Basics.

Next one will be released in a week, but subscribers will get it tomorrow morning.
retrohoarder

Post by retrohoarder »

$9. a month for 20 minutes of training seems a little on the light side.
It's very temping, but I'd be definite customer at 10 minutes of video each week instead of 5.
(This would increase your content a bit, but I'd gladly pay the extra couple bucks for 40 minutes of monthly training.)

You have demonstrated good quality in your sample videos.
Have you already created the content and if so, could you post an outline of what we could expect as subscribers?
mehowte

Post by mehowte »

retrohoarder wrote:$9. a month for 20 minutes of training seems a little on the light side.
It's very temping, but I'd be definite customer at 10 minutes of video each week instead of 5.
(This would increase your content a bit, but I'd gladly pay the extra couple bucks for 40 minutes of monthly training.)
It might not be apparent from the early videos, but 5 minutes of 64bites episode can get pretty intense. And you will have a hard time watching later ones without clicking a pause:)

Believe me, it would be easier for me to speak slower and record a 10 minute episode. But the premise is that it's twice as easy for busy people to find 5 minutes in a week. The frantic pace of an episode is also something I like personally so it's unlikely it will change:)

I'm a huge fan of Avdi Grimm who produces RubyTapas. If you see couple of his episodes the inspiration will be obvious:)

If the price is an issue you might consider waiting until more episodes are released. It is actually advisable strategy for more advanced users since I will be covering basics (of BASIC and ASM) at the beginning. However you will loose the lifetime early bird discount.
retrohoarder wrote: You have demonstrated good quality in your sample videos.
Thank you, that means a lot to me.
retrohoarder wrote: Have you already created the content and if so, could you post an outline of what we could expect as subscribers?
I have a buffer of ~10 episodes. The idea with an outline is a good one:) I'll try to make something like that soon.

For now you can assume that for the next 10-15 weeks I'll be covering the basics and after that the sky is the limit.

For example later on I'll cover sprite multiplexing, but not before the basics of sprites are covered.

Similarly to opening borders. Raster interrupts and scrolling are prerequisites.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic