A new generation of PLA for the C64 is now available.

Moderator: eslapion

eslapion

A new generation of PLA for the C64 is now available.

Post by eslapion »

A new generation of PLA for the C64 is now available! PLAnkton is a new substitute for the C64 PLA U17 part no. 906114-01 or 251064-01.

A few years ago, a PLA based on the Xilinx XC9536 appeared in the Commodore community. This circuit is now out of production and has been for quite some time.

The new generation of CPLD which replaces this circuit is the XC9536XL which runs at a lower voltage and has more features built-in.

Fredric Blaholtz aka E5frog has created a new VHDL code for the XC9536XL which includes a sophisticated chain reaction delay to ensure full compatibility with all versions of the C64 and exploits the built-in slew rate control and low power mode of this modern IC. The result is a PLA that is fully compatible with all C64 boards except assy 250469 and all C64 cartridges including, FastLoad, Super Zaxxon, 1541 Ultimate I and II and consumes only 20mA - one fifth the power of an original Commodore PLA and produces absolutely no heat. It is equipped with gold plated pins to ensure the highest reliability and longevity.

This new PLA, when compared to the SuperPLA V3, proves to be 100% compatible with older boards Assy 326298 as well as all C64 cartridges including Epyx FastLoad, consumes one third the power and costs 25% less. Its also smaller and won't cause physical conflict with the SID nearby on older boards.

Meet PLAnkton:
PLAnkton complete
PLAnkton complete
I certify the circuit used in the product to be a new, genuine Xilinx product purchased from an authorized distributor.

Shipping a small packet (up to 12 units) to the US is 8$. Shipping cost for Australia and South America is 10$, Europe is 8 Euros.

Get PLAnkton for 13 Euros or 14.50$US per unit
Add one or more TOLB to your order and get 10% discount, that's 11.70 Euros or 13.05$US per unit!

Also, customers ordering 10 units or more get a 25% discount. Customers ordering 5 units or more get a 20% discount. TOLB discount does not apply to these quantity discounts.

The product is strictly shipped with anti static protective packaging. It is covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards.

I now distribute this product worldwide!

* TESTED SUCESSFULLY AND FOUND TO BE 100% COMPATIBLE WITH THE C64 Reloaded MK1 BOARD!

Features and characteristics:
- Costs 20% less than the SuperPLA V3
- Draws only 20mA - 1/5 the power of an original Commodore PLA - 1/3 the power of the Super PLA V3 or the same an a small green LED
- Produces no discernable heat
- Designed to produce electrical signals of EXACTLY the same voltages as a genuine Commodore PLA
- 100% compatible with ALL C64 mainboards 326298, 250407, 250425, SX-64, 250466 (NOT compatible with board 250469)
- 100% compatible with ALL C64 cartridges including Epyx FastLoad, 1541 Ultimate I & II, Super Zaxxon, Easy Flash 1 and 3
- Made only using currently available genuine Xilinx circuits purchased from an authorized distributor
- Gold plated pins for best reliability and longevity
- Each individual units fully tested before shipping
- Shipped in antistatic protective material
- covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards

3000 units sold already

---

Thicker pins for weakened sockets available

A few people have indicated they have a worn and/or weakened U17/PLA socket. For this reason, I have decided to offer a variant of PLAnkton which uses a very different type of pins.

The pins equipping PLAnkton are normally 0.018" (0.46mm) to ensure they do not cause extra wear on your socket. They are also gold plated to ensure the best possible contact.

I now offer for an extra 5$US or 4.5 Euros fitting your PLAnkton with 0.024" (0.61mm) pins with a thicker gold plating. The pins are also slightly shorter to make them more resilient.

These pins are based on product ED7264-ND sold by Digikey. If you calculate the price per pin of these strips, you'll realize I effectively sell them for the same price I pay.

The price for PLAnkton with thick pins is therefore 19.50$US or 17.50 Euros.
Last edited by eslapion on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:11 am, edited 21 times in total.

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A new generation of PLA for the C64 will soon be availab

Post by Melon »

This looks interesting :) I assume that the C64 Reloaded (if you can get your hands on one) won't have any issues with this?
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

Wow, this looks fantastic. So when you say this is more compatible then the SuperPLA does that mean it works with the things that one does not, like the Fastload cart?

As was already asked, does it work with the reloaded board?

I am interested in these, when will they be available?

EDIT: I Love the name too!
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
e5frog

Post by e5frog »

Guess so, that's what he wrote. ;-)
eslapion wrote:... fully compatible with all C64 boards, FastLoad ...
My other hobby: Image
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Zippy Zapp wrote:Wow, this looks fantastic. So when you say this is more compatible then the SuperPLA does that mean it works with the things that one does not, like the Fastload cart?
PLAnkton works with the Fastload cart and it is also more compatible with older boards like the 250407 or 326298. It has a built-in RC filter that you can activate or not.
As was already asked, does it work with the reloaded board?
It has not been tested yet with the C64r board but I see no reason why it would cause problems.

I am interested in these, when will they be available?
You can pre-order right now.

They will begin shipping in about 3 weeks.
EDIT: I Love the name too!
Was chosen by Fredric '-)
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Zippy Zapp

Post by Zippy Zapp »

e5frog wrote:Guess so, that's what he wrote. ;-)
eslapion wrote:... fully compatible with all C64 boards, FastLoad ...
:oops: Man sometimes I am just plain blind! I don't know how I missed that.

This is great news! Thank you both for doing this!
Commodore - Changing the world 8 bits at a time.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

Getting FastLoad compatibility was very easy.

Super Zaxxon (the cart version - not the disk) is very sensitive to any problems a PLA might have. It uses a flip-flop to toggle access to the upper or lower half of one of its 2 ROMs. PLAnkton supports it perfectly.

PLAnkton works well with everything I could throw at it yet it consumes the same amount of power as an LED. Unlike many other products available out there, it is based on a chip that is still in production and easily available from authorized distributors - no counterfeits.

PLAnkton will also soon be tested on the 64r.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

ERRATA:
The exact pricing in US dollars is 12.67$
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

How do I pre-order in Europe? Just PM e5frog on here?

edit: NM, read the first post properly.
mistermsk

Post by mistermsk »

I would be interested in 3.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic