What can cause C64 to display B&W?

Got an issue?
Starglider

What can cause C64 to display B&W?

Post by Starglider »

Hi, I recently moved my retrocomputing collection into a new room we had built, and when connecting the cables into the back of the C64 breadbin, they wouldn't fit so I pushed harder. Then I realized I foolishly had the disk drive and video cables back to front.

Since then the video only outputs in Black and White unless I push the video plug to the left at the back of the C64. But this causes interference.

Is it more likely that the cable/plug is damaged, or the actual socket? What could cause black and white output?

Thanks!!

Thanks!

Starglider
eslapion

Re: What can cause C64 to display B&W?

Post by eslapion »

Starglider wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 pm Since then the video only outputs in Black and White unless I push the video plug to the left at the back of the C64. But this causes interference.

Is it more likely that the cable/plug is damaged, or the actual socket? What could cause black and white output?
It is more likely the cable is damaged but the only way to know for sure is to try another cable or another C64 you know works well.

What causes B/W output is the chroma signal doesn't make it from the C64 to the display.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Starglider

Post by Starglider »

Ok thanks. New cable on the way! (I love that people still make them...)
Thanks!

Starglider
Starglider

Post by Starglider »

It was the cable!
Thanks!

Starglider
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic