commodore max repair

Got an issue?
andy6384

commodore max repair

Post by andy6384 »

I have a commodore max. I know it's japanese ntsc, and i have a TV ( Lg LCD ) that can tune to ntsc, not sure if that includes japanese but it tunes perfectly to a couple of US ntsc atari pong consoles I have.

I can tune it to a slightly fuzzy black screen on the max. Plug in a c64 game cart and it plays the music and sfx on the TV but no picture. So...
Is it the VIC chip, or the modulator, or just the TV wont tune to japanese NTSC ? It could be one of the other parts in the video circuit too of course.

If its the TV won't tune then I'd have thought i'd have got something recognisable, either a wobbly image, black and white, something if it was working.

So if it''s the vic chip... can anyone tell me a source of japanese vic2 chips and if not then can i substitute a US vic2 which i can get ?

any advice much appreciated

eslapion

Re: commodore max repair

Post by eslapion »

I can't guess on what exactly is wrong with your unit but I can say for sure US/Canada NTSC and Japanese NTSC are the same.

Also, AFAIK, the Commodore MAX machine uses a very special version of the VIC-II which works with static RAM instead of Dynamic RAM. I have seen a special adapter to allow a C64 VIC-II to work in a MAX machine offered on Amibay a few months ago.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic