CMD SuperCPU - who's still interested?

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Shaun_B

CMD SuperCPU - who's still interested?

Post by Shaun_B »

I for one would love to see more SuperCPU software (fairly obvious statement) but who else would be interested? Especially as you no longer necessarily have to own the hardware to run the software.

Regards,

Shaun.

BASIC Programming - making the mistakes so that you don't have to.
Circles and Squares.
Nothing I post here will stand up in a court of law.
satpro

Re: CMD SuperCPU - who's still interested?

Post by satpro »

Count me in!! (Already on it.)
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

Well I certainly would if I could get my hands on a SuperCPU (I'm not one for emulation)
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

yaztromo wrote:Well I certainly would if I could get my hands on a SuperCPU (I'm not one for emulation)
I do know someone who's looking to sell one in the summer months but I can't guarantee that'll be at a cheap price so it depends on how much you have to spend and how much you want one?

Regards,

Shaun.
Circles and Squares.
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

Now that it's duly emulated, I'm interested in it as a thing to experiment with on VICE, for sure, but no way in the world I'd ever own one.

In fact, Slang (Steve Judd's SCPU-specific programming language) looks like an interesting one to experiment with.
zap

Post by zap »

I'm interested in anything SuperCPU as a collector and a owner.

You can find plenty too do here The SuperCPU Home site, a picture of a old man in a chair was hosted there for quite some time! however we got the site online again at cbm8bit and now host it with spratic updates. With not much happening since the new SCPU emulator that's been added to the site, also their is a Mailing List here, http://cbm8bit.com/mail-lists started back up from the site, the mailing list was added to cbm8bit too support the site, if you have a project and would like too add a mailing list too support your users give me a PM too have it added.

Look forward too becoming more active in this area myself, i have my fingers in many pies at the moments "most not my personal projects" that tie up my time but where i can I'll help out with updating the site etc.

enjoy
zap.
C= 8bit search, simply finds files fast.
http://cbm8bit.com/search
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

metalfoot wrote:Now that it's duly emulated, I'm interested in it as a thing to experiment with on VICE, for sure, but no way in the world I'd ever own one.

In fact, Slang (Steve Judd's SCPU-specific programming language) looks like an interesting one to experiment with.
I've played around with Slang, it's quite nice to use actually. Maybe I'll have more of an idea of what to do with it now I'm in my 2nd year as a full-time developer.

Slang's last update was 2006 so I'm wondering if it's still possible to contact Steve to get the source files? I'll have to drop him an email and see what happens.

Regards,

Shaun.
Circles and Squares.
satpro

Post by satpro »

Shaun,

With all due respect to you as a competent peer (we're friends of course so please allow me to argue a point) I have an opinion (that will most likely not sit well) about Steve Judd's programs. He is regarded highly in the community, no doubt about that, and he has been extremely generous by providing the "Fridge" to all of us over the years, but I can confidently state that his programs are hard to use (damn near all of them), and are "crazy buggy in weird ways." The source (which he freely provides and we are supposed to trust) is literally impossible to follow or learn from. I'm no beginner, but at more than one time I was in a desperate search for some code for a specific routine and went to Judd's site. After several days of peering at code and learning (in the process) to hate Merlin, I finally went somewhere else in the end because his code was nearly incomprehensible to me. I even tried to match source with binary (you know how hard that is to do) and came to a very disturbing conclusion -- Judd doesn't really know 65816 -- and that's the nice version of what I think. One time later I had an argument with Groepaz (based partly) on Judd's stuff (a different program altogether), and even though G and I came to a philosophical draw in the end, I later went back to Judd's stuff and realized that (after digging deeper) I could no longer trust his code. I wouldn't use a single line of any of his code today. And I'll tell you this -> Argue with Groepaz -- you had better make absolutely sure you're right the first time.

Want an example? Try just once (for real -- not just a drive by) to use Jammon or even better yet, Sirius. I'll promise you within two minutes you will be looking for something else. Try to draw a circle from his source code. Really, try it. If I ever, and I mean ever, write shit like that you should fire me. Oh, man, the source code is so bad! I hate knocking a fellow programmer (you know me -- I don't fling poop) because we have an unwritten rule (like Hollywood) regarding fellow programmers, but I firmly believe the two guys whose code (and most definitely coding style) you should avoid are Stephen L. Judd and Randall Hyde. I am sorry to even say this in public, but both of their code is (shall we say) not worth the effort on any level. I really believe both of their efforts (especially Hyde's) is of no use to anyone learning assembler. I would be more than happy at this point to debate this with either one of these two guys (with facts).

People blindly trust published fellow programmers. Not me, not any more.

Bert
Last edited by satpro on Mon May 12, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
satpro

Post by satpro »

To follow up, I can't stomach knocking fellow programmers in public. It is truly bad form. This is different. Both of those guys are bad for business.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Thanks for the info Bert. I trust your judgement here as I've used some of your assembly source that was on Dropbox in my own experiments and you seem to have a clear idea of clean programming. I haven't used Slang for a few years, possibly since before I started my studies back in 2009, so maybe this time lapse will give me a fresh perspective.

Regards,

Shaun.
Circles and Squares.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic