Re: C64 With Black Screen

Post by rmzalbar »

U2_off_8.jpg
U2_off_9.jpg
Smooth operator
C64Person

Post by C64Person »

Wow, this is incredible information! Thanks so much for doing this. I will try to start working through this, and will report what I find. Once again, no worries on the wait.

My knowledge of the oscilloscope is fairly limited beyond the basics. I understand active high and low, but I am not quite sure how to set rising/falling edge. Is changing the slope settings for trigger the same thing?
image.jpg
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Yes it is. That's the setting you can see in my images on the right Slope Rising or Slope Falling. Setting Slope Falling will prevent the trigger from firing when the signal is at rest above the trigger point on an active low signal, and will fire when it drops down to 0.
Smooth operator
C64Person

Post by C64Person »

Sounds good. I tried to run the command on the C64, but strangely it printed NOT PRESENT if I had the drive off, but the system just froze when I had the drive on; not even a READY prompt. Does this indicate anything?
rmzalbar

Post by rmzalbar »

Certainly that's the wrong behavior.

The fact that it doesn't freeze and gives you a NOT PRESENT when the 1541 is off, means that it can at least think it's sent a command and didn't get a response. So something is working, on the c64 side. At least with the 1541 off, you should be able to compare the CIA pin signals against my "1541 off" captures to verify the CIA is generating all the signals you'd expect. Then if that looks OK, you could move onto the 1541 being on though that seems like it will be a bit more effort since it crashes each time and makes you retype the program.

Does pressing RUN/STOP break to a ready prompt when it freezes at least? That might save you some time. If not, you could try a stronger break by holding RUN/STOP and tapping RESTORE. You have to strike RESTORE quickly as it is designed to only respond to a quick strike. That's to keep it from resetting your program if you just casually press it by mistake.
Smooth operator
C64Person

Post by C64Person »

Pressing RUN/STOP doesn’t break to READY, but the RUN/STOP and RESTORE method does work.

I will compare the signals with the 1541 off to verify that the C64 is working properly, and then go from there.
C64Person

Post by C64Person »

Either the computer is doing nothing near what it should be doing, or I’m really bad at using the oscilloscope (or some combination of both). I’ve checked the pins on the CIA with the 1541 off, but none of them are triggering right - either not at all, or before I run the program in some strange form on the screen.

I’ve attached the five photos of u2 with drive off, not sure if they are helpful but definitely not what you’re seeing. Perhaps you can make something of it that I’m not noticing?
U2 pin 5
U2 pin 5
U2 Pin 8
U2 Pin 8
U2 Pin 9
U2 Pin 9
Last edited by C64Person on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic