Interesting way to unbrick a power brick.

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Gyro Gearloose

Interesting way to unbrick a power brick.

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
banman

Re: Interesting way to unbrick a power brick.

Post by banman »

Hi Gyro Gearloose,

That's a fantastic way to get the C64's power power brick case free. :)

I'm trying to imagine why the original manufacturer would epoxy the setup like this.....

I'm sure these old power supplies spelt the end for many C64's...
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Yeah I thought the epoxy would stick to the enclosure, but it looks like the black plastic is too slick. Epoxy isn't magic, it doesn't stick to everything.
Maybe when I get the chance I'll try this with my Plus 4 brick. My SX-64 and 128D are safe, and my 64C uses the 1764's power supply which is AFAIK the same as a 128's brick, ie much more reliable.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Post by eslapion »

banman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:30 am I'm trying to imagine why the original manufacturer would epoxy the setup like this.....
The original power supply for the C64 was black with venting holes. Sometimes metallic objects would get inside (paper clips, among others) and it would catch fire.
I'm sure these old power supplies spelt the end for many C64's...
Only once they started to get older than 10-15 years. The C64 was considered to become obsolete and disappear after a maximum of 3 years. It was never expected to last so long.

It was still selling in pretty much the original form (breadbin) in early 1987. It was then replaced by the C64c and C128.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
banman

Post by banman »

Hi eslapion,

I actually didn't think of metalic items falling into the PSU. It makes sense now you mentioned that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic