New Arrival

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
gameznut

New Arrival

Post by gameznut »

Look what I just dug out of the cupboard... my trusty old C64C and amazingly everything still works. My daughter moved out over xmas, so my son got her room and I got his room for all my gear... Check out that wallpaper :D

yaztromo

Re: New Arrival

Post by yaztromo »

Always did like the green led version better, that looks a good case, hasn't yellowed much. Bet it has the 8580 inside as well. :D

Now you need to post some scores with it.
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

It will give me a big incentive to start purchasing original 64 software again I`ve only got a handful of Tapes.
I`ll take some pics of what I`ve got when I can get em all together. I also need a new Zipstick for it. Had a quick look on Ebay and was surprised how much they go for
cheapest I found was like £25..
yaztromo

Post by yaztromo »

They really have gained some price, they used to be £15 for a good one. Try to go for the £25 to £30 mark and get a less used one with autofire switch.

Back in 2012 I didn't own any hardware and suddenly got the bug big time. Bought a C64C (same one as in your pic) and a Breadbin. Started out with the tape deck copying games to tape via the hi-fi and TAP2WAV but decided to buy the 1541 Ultimate after a few months. Best purchase I ever made, really gave the machine a new lease of like. They aren't cheap though, if you want to play games and aren't bothered about the latest demos an sd2iec is probably worth your while.

Also for longevity I removed the cardboard shield, which just acts as a heat trap and bought some heatsinks and thermal tape from maplin for the VIC, SID and CPU.

Of all my machines, the C64 gets the most use. The scene for it is just so active what with new games and demos coming out all the time + the gaming competition on L64 too.
hammerhead

Post by hammerhead »

That keyboard on the left... Looks like someone wiped their arse with it!

But yeah, it's great to get the real thing again. I bought mine about a year ago after 15+ years of using emulators.

Since then I've added an SD2IEC, EasyFlash 3, MPS1270 printer, disk drive (courtesy of yaztromo) and a bunch of joysticks. All of which have made using the 64 even more enjoyable. The 1541 Ultimate is awesome but I'm happy with my setup as is, for now.

As to joysticks, people are asking silly prices for them now (dunno whether anyone is buying, mind). It is possible to get a decent Zipstik for around £15, you just have to keep an eye out for auctions with a low starting bid. Oddly, Comp Pro's tend to fetch more - despite being inferior, imho - but that's maybe because more folk had them back in the day, so the nostalgia factor is driving up the price.
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

lol, I literally just dig that keyboard out of the cupboard cuz my batteries had gone in black Logitech wireless job.
saying that my stuff does get a little discoloured over time , too much coffee/nicotine late night sessions. my friends would always take the pee out of my original 64 (Breadbin) cuz it was usually full of ash in between the keys:D. anyway Ive quit that nasty habit now (yeah yeah we`ll see).
Anyhow I`d like a new zipstick to save me swappin all the time, plus mine is bound to start failing shortly it`s had a lot of abuse over the years. the remarkable thing is Ive had my current zipstick for Donkey`s. In fact I had it before I got my first A500 back in the day so fair play they must be pretty damn solid. Obviously I don't use it for games like Decathlon/Hypersports I used to have a knackered old quickshot 2 for that type of joystick thrashing.
I wanna go play Elite Dangerous some but Ive just been on my mountain bike with my eldest over our local hills (Malverns) and I`m knackered.. quick beer and bed methinks..
hammerhead

Post by hammerhead »

That makes me feel guilty. I still drive to work and it's only about a mile away, when there's a perfectly serviceable bike in the shed... Well it was serviceable when I put it in there about a year ago :oops:

If you're still looking for a Zipstik, there's three for sale here at £15 plus postage. I've no experience of the seller but am quite tempted to get a spare.
gameznut

Post by gameznut »

Thanks for the heads up Hammerhead I think £15 is a more than a fair price. I used an old competition pro the other day briefly and altho it is old and a little worn it made me appreciate how good the Zipsticks really are. I`ll definatly be getting a new one along with one of those SD2IEC thingy`s they sound awesome, be nice to use the real thing again..
As for the biking, I was exactly same 2yrs ago, I wouldn't walk to my local shop (3 mins away). started bikin and lost 2 stone in around 8 weeks and no matter what I eat/drink now I stay bang on 11stone and I can eat let me tell you:P.. best thing I`ve ever done wish I`d started sooner.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic