Commodore w/modern Mouse

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
motrucker

Commodore w/modern Mouse

Post by motrucker »

Have you wanted to use a modern laser mouse, USB or not, with your Commodore 64, Commodore 128, or Amiga computer? There are a couple of good adapters that will accomplish this feat, but my favorite is the Micromys v3 or v4 from Individual Computers.
I use this on with my C-64, one with my C-128, and one with my Amiga A2000 computers. With the Commodore eight bit computers, it is too hard to find a good, working 1351 mouse, and the Amiga mouse is slow, and picks up dust like crazy. The obvious answer is an adapter to allow using a modern mouse. You can buy the Mycromys with or without a mouse. These days most of us already have good USB or PS2 laser mice laying around - which makes using this adapter easy. It's an excellent choice to help enter the twenty first century with a modern mouse.
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Micromys

C-64, C-128, and Amiga A2000 user
JWag

Re: Commodore w/modern Mouse

Post by JWag »

Ha! In the early '90s I was super proud of a creation of mine: I made my own circuitry that read the sensors in a cast-off Zeos PC serial mouse and applied short pulses to the appropriate joystick direction on my C64. Unfortunately when I plugged it into my C64 I learned that the joystick ports were polled, and too slowly for my invention to be useful. I didn't know how the 1351 worked, so I abandoned the whole thing. Oh, well. I learned a lot.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

JWag wrote:Ha! In the early '90s I was super proud of a creation of mine: I made my own circuitry that read the sensors in a cast-off Zeos PC serial mouse and applied short pulses to the appropriate joystick direction on my C64. Unfortunately when I plugged it into my C64 I learned that the joystick ports were polled, and too slowly for my invention to be useful. I didn't know how the 1351 worked, so I abandoned the whole thing. Oh, well. I learned a lot.
I used to try to build projects for my eight bit Commodore computers and the Amiga. Some worked really well, some not. I had mixed results trying to make newer mice to work with the older machines. I didn't post this for the people who would rather build their own adapters, but for the people who at least think this is over their heads, or would rather just buy an adapter that already works. For them, here is one that works quite well. There are others on the market - just goole for C-64 mouse adapter, and you'll see the list.
JWag

Post by JWag »

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was poo-pooing it at all, it just struck me funny that there was a device that happily accomplishes what I couldn't all those years ago. Thanks for the reminder to check around again for them.
motrucker

Post by motrucker »

JWag wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was poo-pooing it at all, it just struck me funny that there was a device that happily accomplishes what I couldn't all those years ago. Thanks for the reminder to check around again for them.
I am accused of being argumentative on other forums, but that's a huge over reaction. All I ever try to do is to help fellow 8 bit Commodore user (and Amiga user's too) to keep their machine running, and to make things a easy as possible when Using these computers.
I understood exactly what you were saying. I tried to build a mouse interface with very mixed results (mostly bad) - but I tried.
When I saw these adapters being advertised (I first bought a V3) I couldn't resist buying one (to start with).
There is also another make of adapter being made, and sold buy several internet sellers, such as www.AmigaKit.com and others
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... ucts_id=88
This adapter works quite well too. I just happen to prefer the Micromys adapter
For those who still want to roll up their sleves, there is always this option: http://hackaday.com/2009/11/14/mouse-a- ... 4-adapter/
So, which ever way anyone wants to go, there's some they use.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic