Please support the Mechboard64 C64 keyboard project.

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
HeadOverHeals

Please support the Mechboard64 C64 keyboard project.

Post by HeadOverHeals »

Hi all,
I recently contacted MtnBuffalo with the interest in purchasing one of these amazing keyboards.
[url]https://www.breadbox64.com/mods-for-sale/mechboard64/
Unfortunately, these keyboards will no longer be produced unless more interest is made by the C64 community to purchase these amazing pieces of bespoke electronic hardware.
Some may say that it is just a keyboard and not worth $171 euros including shipping, but I would argue that these people are plain wrong.
This is a beautifully made mechanical keyboard, that MtnBuffalo has designed and engineered himself.
Far superior to today’s mass-produced electronics and ten times better than the old Commodore 64 keyboard.
This gifted gentleman makes these keyboards in his basement, at the end of his day as a way of giving back to the retro community, NOT to make money.
He has invested over 350 hours of his own time and countless Euros in research and development to build two keyboards for himself.
"The keyboard supports all versions of the Commodore 64 including the newly produced motherboards (C64 Reloaded & Ultimate64)."
Keep your C64 alive and support this wonderful project by sending a non-binding email to MtnBuffalo via his website (linked above).
FWIW I have posted this information from a completely selfish point of view. I want to purchase one of these boards before they go the way of the Dodo.
I firmly believe and standby my comments above and thank you for reading.
Cheers,
Ben :)

TMR

Re: Please support the Mechboard64 C64 keyboard project.

Post by TMR »

HeadOverHeals wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:31 am Some may say that it is just a keyboard and not worth $171 euros including shipping, but I would argue that these people are plain wrong.
I'm not sure it's a matter of worth, but more about how many people really use the keyboard on their C64 these days for who an improved keyboard would be a good investment. I'm a C64 coder but barely do more than type LOAD commands natively...
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
HeadOverHeals

Post by HeadOverHeals »

Interesting point you make, TMR. If you are a coder why would you bother using a cr#$y old keyboard when you can use a modern PC/Mac with an emulator and a half decent mechanical keyboard?
Why even use the old C64? Just use an emulator for everything?
There is a nostalgia to preserving and using a physical C64 and a very big difference compared to using an emulated machine.
I am sure there are retro gamers that play RPGs or adventure games on there old C64 that would benefit and enjoy restoring their old machine beyond its former glory.
There must be a part of you that still enjoys using the hardware that is the Commodore 64 and why would you not want to preserve that?
If you cannot or do not want to purchase this keyboard, don't.
What I am trying to do is rally support for this brilliant project and the man behind it. I am appealing to the people that may be interested in purchasing a new keyboard for their C64.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. The breadbin keyboard sits high and is not very comfortable for longer periods of time. A SX or C128 keyboard is much better, and the 64C is pretty good too.

Also, I'm not sure what "HeadOverHeals" is supposed to mean, perhaps you meant "heels"?
The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
TMR

Post by TMR »

HeadOverHeals wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm Interesting point you make, TMR. If you are a coder why would you bother using a cr#$y old keyboard when you can use a modern PC/Mac with an emulator and a half decent mechanical keyboard?
Why even use the old C64? Just use an emulator for everything?
The actual coding is done on a Windows 7 desktop with a decade plus old Dell mechanical keyboard. But the testing of that code is handled by two real machines, a C64 and C64C, which share a CRT and there's a dozen machines "in stock".
HeadOverHeals wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pmI am sure there are retro gamers that play RPGs or adventure games on there old C64 that would benefit and enjoy restoring their old machine beyond its former glory.
Devil's advocaat for a bit here but I'm not entirely convinced it's about nostalgia in those cases and "using the hardware that is the Commodore 64" because surely that hardware includes the feel of the keyboard...?

I like the Mechboard as an idea but it's not much cheaper than a Turbo Chameleon which adds VGA out, 16Mb of RAM expansion, emulates a 1541, speeds the processor up and, via a breakout cable, can connect a mechanical PS/2 keyboard to the C64; if I were seriously worried about typing on a native machine, an external keyboard with a lower "ride height" would be a selling point for me...
Disclaimer: a message board post from this person shouldn't be seen as any kind of indication that a project has been started or is ongoing because as a programmer he has the attention span of... oh look, a squirrel!
HeadOverHeals

Post by HeadOverHeals »

TMR I appreciate your point of view. Thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers,
Ben
HeadOverHeals

Post by HeadOverHeals »

Also, I'm not sure what "HeadOverHeals" is supposed to mean, perhaps you meant "heels"?
[/quote]

Well I guess I don't have to worry about copyright infringement now do I? :lol:
Melon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Melon »

I have to agree with TMR, when you consider you can purchase an Ultimate 64 cheaper I can understand why you'd think twice about forking out for a keyboard.
.oO( MELON64 - ONE SLiCE AiN'T ENOUGH! )Oo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic