Another 1541 observation

Disk drives, Monitors, SuperCPU etc.
Gyro Gearloose

Another 1541 observation

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

All the full sized 1541s I've seen all have a Commodore logo badge on top of the case. All the ones I've seen are removable too, you can pop the Commodore logo out of there.

What was the point of that?

And from what I can see the VIC-1540 and VIC-1541 drives in the cream colored case have no logo on top at all.

Why not?

The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
eslapion

Re: Another 1541 observation

Post by eslapion »

The secret is in plastic molding and manufacturing methods.

The case for a VIC1540/VIC-1541/1541 has a certain size so the moldings require a specific type of plastic to allow the plastic to make it to all parts of the mold before it starts hardening. This type doesn't lend well to making fine and accurate shapes such as you find in the C= logo.

A much smaller mold is used to make the logo badge and the type of plastic used is better for fine details but it hardens much faster so it must be used in much smaller molds.

Hence one type of plastic for the large case parts and another for the logo badge which has to be snapped in.
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. -Harland D. Sanders
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic